Android and iOS devices have reshaped the way we communicate, work, and so much more that revolves around us. With Android being one of the most widely-used operating system in the world, it’s most susceptible to hackers and cybercriminals who frequently target the operating system to make a quick gain.
Hackers have amassed billions of dollars by hacking smartphone devices with weak mobile security. This is why you need the best mobile security apps installed and working on your Android devices as Google’s OS is often targeted by malware due to its wide-ranging popularity.
Age of Smartphones
Before we dig into the list of apps you should have on your smartphone, it’s important to understand the lifestyle we have today. Smartphones play a pivotal role in not only communicating but dozens of other intricate daily routines. From reminding us about our daily schedule to turning on the lights when we get home, smartphones have come a long way.
In today’s digitally connected times, free Wi-Fi has become a blessing and people of all ages habitually connect to this convenience without thinking about its repercussions. Free and unsecured Wi-Fi networks pose a huge risk and can cause you great trouble if you become a victim to a hack.
Connecting to Wi-Fi networks, in general, poses enormous risks to not only your device but your digital communications and other online activities. Cybercriminals and hackers nowadays are equipped with ingenious tools that instantly infiltrate your network and get a hold of intricate information
Any cyber-attack can expose your online identity and result in the loss of sensitive data. And in most cases, there would be zero chances of ever recovering the lost data.
To avoid such misery, it is strongly recommended that you install a Wi-Fi security app on your device. Below is a list of the most popular apps, and how they strengthen your mobile security:
360 Security is an antivirus that offers security for your device. The app comes equipped with optimization tools which you can manually configure on your device. You also get protection against viruses, malware, and other growing online threats.
360 Security provides the capabilities of many applications through an all-in-one app. With the app, you get:
- Antivirus – scans applications and makes sure no viruses are present.
- Junk file cleaner – deletes unnecessary files and clears the clutter.
- Performance booster – optimizes memory and boosts performance speeds.
- Blocks unwanted calls and messages – the ability to block blacklist anonymous numbers.
- Manage notifications – ability to hide notifications from popping up the screen.
- App privacy – you can lock apps and other private documents.
- Intruder selfie – takes a quick snap of a person who’s trying to get into your phone.
360 security is a great mobile security app for anyone who wants the basic security along with some helpful features.
Sophos Mobile Security
Sophos is a leading mobile security application that’s used by companies and governments worldwide. The app protects your Android device without draining your battery or taking much more of your devices’ processing power. Sophos takes mobile security to the next level by offering:
- Malware protection – Scans all apps on your device and storage media for malicious files.
- Web Filtering – Blocks web pages with malicious, unwanted or prohibited content.
- Link Checker – Check links you tap in non-browser apps for malicious or inappropriate content.
- App Protection – Protect apps with a password.
- Wi-Fi Security – Check your connection for man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Privacy Advisor – List apps that access your personal data or that could create costs.
- Security Advisor – Get advice on how to improve device security.
- Secure QR Code Scanner – Perform security checks when scanning QR codes that include URLs, contacts, or Wi-Fi connection data.
With Sophos installed on your Android device, your mobile security is covered.
App Lock is a standalone Android application with the sole purpose of locking nearly all type of files and applications on your Android device. By providing the ability to lock files and applications, App Lock aims to provide users with the mobile security they deserve.
With App lock, you can set locks on other files such as videos, music, contacts, pictures, etc. The app also includes interesting features like:
- Picture Vault – keeps your private pictures in a secure and private vault which only you can open it.
- Lock/unlock apps – you can set a time to lock and unlock apps automatically.
- Set different profiles to lock different apps – prevent unwanted people from peeping into your private apps.
Primarily, the main function of the app is to lock applications installed on your device, rendering them of no use to a third person.
Last Pass Password Manager
LastPass is a renowned password manager and password generator that stores your passwords and personal information in a secure vault. The secure vault, known as the LastPass vault stores login usernames and passwords of your online accounts.
If you want to choose a strong password, you can do so with the help of Last Pass. Last Pass suggests passwords for all websites and remembers them when you try to login next. All Last Pass requires from you is to remember its master password so that you never get locked out of your passwords. Just like Google smart lock, LastPass can autofill web browser and app logins for you.
More on Last Pass features:
- Securely stores usernames and passwords in an encrypted vault.
- Automatically fills in your login credentials for you as you visit sites and apps.
- Real-time syncing so that you have passwords readily available across devices.
- Log in to Last Pass with your fingerprint or Face ID.
- Ability to share Wi-Fi passwords with others.
Last Pass is widely used by millions of people around the globe and is considered to be a reliable vault for storing your confidential information.
Signal Private Messenger
Signal is a private messaging service which allows users to communicate instantly just like any other messaging service. However, what distinguishes this messenger from others is that it is built with keeping privacy in mind.
You can create groups, share media and much more with complete privacy as Signal doesn’t store any of your data on its servers.
Here are Signal’s features which make it a mobile security communication application:
- Private Messaging – Signal uses modern-day end-to-end encryption protocol which ensures that user’s conversations are kept private.
- Secure Group Conversations – Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so you can have private conversations. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group metadata such as the membership list, group title, or group icon.
- Secure Calling – With Signal on your devices, you can make clear and secure phone calls to people around the globe.
While Signal hasn’t achieved global recognition as WhatsApp, Messenger WeChat and other messaging services, it’s certainly renowned among the privacy-centric community.
Couple encryption with a calling application and you get Secure Call, an anonymous, peer-to-peer (P2P), end-to-end encrypted voice calling application for smartphones. Secure Call aims to prevent third-parties from snooping on your conversations with end-to-end high encryption technology.
More on Secure Call features that make it a mobile security application:
- Encrypted HD voice calls – securely communicate and share personal details on the call with friends and family without worrying about any third person ever listening
- Full anonymity – encryption cloaks your real identity, providing you the online privacy you need
- High encryption technology – encryption makes your communications secure and untraceable
- Minimal app permissions – the app only requires basic requirements such as the microphone and contact list
For those who don’t trust the carrier service, Secure Call is the safest calling option. The best part is that it doesn’t require any monthly subscription plan, unlike carriers.
PureVPN, a globally renowned and leading VPN service which has a committed track record since a decade. PureVPN provides just about everything you’re looking for in a mobile security application.
From online security to secure file sharing, PureVPN covers your online tracks with its pristine features. Users can make use of 300,000+ IPs and 750+ servers strategically located in 140+ countries. PureVPN claims to provide ultimate online privacy without compromising on its user’s internet speeds.
Apart from anonymizing your digital existence, PureVPN secures your online data with its top-of-the-line military grade AES 256-bit encryption. PureVPN offers supreme mobile security for iOS and Android users. Once connected, you can get around regional limitations and access the content of your choice with the highest secrecy.
Since the VPN service is headquartered in Hong Kong, users don’t have to worry about metadata retention or other laws that affect their online privacy.
NoRoot Firewall is an Android application that protects your personal information from being uploaded to the Internet. The way this app works is by notifying you when an app is trying to access the Internet. All you have to do is press the Allow or Deny button for it to work.
The app allows you to create filter rules based on IP address, hostname or domain name. You can allow or deny only specific connections of an app.
- Fine-grained access control based on IP/hostname/domain name.
- Simple interface. Easy to use.
- Minimal permissions. No location, No phone number.
Find my Device
Trying to find a lost phone can be challenging and fruitless. An Android application, Find My Device, helps you find your lost Android phone and lock it until you get it back.
More on its features:
- You can view your phone, tablet, or watch on a map. It’ll show you the current location or its last known location.
- If your phone gets lost in an airport or a mall, the app will use indoor maps to narrow down your search.
- Ability to play your phone’s sound at full volume
- You can wipe out all the data or lock the phone with a custom message on the lock screen
- View network bars, battery status, and hardware details
Millions of people use this app to secure their mobile against any misuse in case the phone gets lost or stolen.
Free Adblocker Browser
This Android Browser with Adblock enables you to have an ad-free web experience in order to see more of the content that matters to you. The adblock enabled browser blocks ads, banners, ad-videos, and popups. It can prevent advertisers from tracking your behavior and saves battery as well as data volume with the integrated adblocker.
These features make the Free Adblocker Browser one of the best browser available for mobile and a great alternative to any other mobile browser.
- Adblock blocks annoying ads of all kinds (banner, popups, pre-loaded ad-videos)
- Blocks Ad-Cookies from third parties
- Secure Browsing: Warns you in case of malware and adware
- Saves battery & data volume using adblock technology
- Super-fast browser with adblock
Make sure you’ve got the best mobile security applications on your device before you’re a victim to a cyber attack.