A network security key is your passport. With a network security key, you’ve got instant access to the internet and any devices that are connected on the network. You’ll learn how to find a network security key in simple steps, but let’s understand the nature of a network security key first.
What is Network Security Key?
The network security key is most commonly known as the Wi-Fi password. With this password, you can easily connect to a wireless network. Routers come prepacked with a default network security key that you can later change it in the settings page of the network device.
As with any other password, it’s pretty common to forget your network security key as you don’t regularly need it, unless of course, you’ve got people coming in and out of your home or shop, such as a coffee shop.
How to Find Network Security Key of Your Wi-Fi
There could be multiple reasons why you are looking for a network security key. Maybe you just bought a new router, or you’re trying to connect another device (mobile phone or computer) to the Wi-Fi network, or perhaps you forgot its password. Whatever the reason may be, here’s an in-depth guide to help you find your network security key.
If you have a device that is already connected to the wireless network, then you can find the key in the network settings. Each device that is connected to a wireless networks stores the key so it can reconnect automatically when the network comes into range.
Head over to your devices’ Wi-Fi settings and tap on the Wi-Fi name. You’ll see a list of information where the password will be mentioned.
Finding the key on a new Router
If you bought a new router, things would be easy for you. Most modern routers have a label which can be found on the bottom or back of the device. However, each router manufacturer uses a different label which can be confusing. What you’re looking for is the following:
- SSID – that’s the name of the router
- Password – that’s your network password
- Network Key – that’s your network security key
Noticing the network security key won’t be difficult as you’ll see it displayed on the label. You can use the network security key to connect to your wireless network.
Find Network Security Key on Windows 10
Windows 10 is the easiest operating system to use, and it’s pretty easy to view the wireless network security key on Windows 10. Just follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start Menu. You’ll see a list of options
- Click on Network Connections
- Scroll down and click on Network and Sharing Center
- Click on your Wireless network(starting with Wi-Fi)
- Click on the Wireless Properties button
- Go to the Security Tab
- Select the ‘Show characters’ checkbox where you’ll see your network security key.
Finding the Wi-Fi password on a Mac OS X
Finding the network security key on a Mac is easy as well. Here are the steps:
- Click the search icon on the top right side of your screen
- Search for Keychain Access
- In the Keychain Access screen, double click on your network
- Select the Show Password checkbox
- You need to enter your Mac password
How to Change Your Wi-Fi Password
If you’re looking for ways to change your Wi-Fi password, look no further. Here’s a step by step guide on how to change your Wi-Fi password.