Many schools and colleges provide free WiFi facilities to their students. However, for a number of reasons, access is blocked to anything they deem unimportant to their studies. This proves very inconvenient, particularly for those who reside on campus.
Sure, students use the Internet for study purposes, but they also rely on it for various downtime activities as well. Take, for instance, to stay in touch with friends via social media or watch videos of their favorite vlogger.
Not only this, but these restrictions can lock them out from genuine resources they actually need for research. The solution is straightforward: students can get around these roadblocks and use the Internet however they choose with a VPN for school WiFi.
Reasons for Restrictions on School WiFi
Academic WiFi networks are essential to support the learning and wellbeing of students, but institutions have a few concerns regarding the provision of such services. As such, pupils don’t usually get the unfettered Internet access they may need.
Copyright infringement is one reason why schools and colleges impose WiFi restrictions. If students download copyrighted material through their WiFi network, it’s the institution that will have to face the repercussions at the hands of ISPs or copyright trolls.
Furthermore, there’s also the fear of students being exposed to inappropriate content like pornography, especially in schools. Another reason is the risk of procrastination; that instead of studying, most students would use the WiFi to engage in activities such as online gaming.
The inevitable result of these concerns is censorship. Many institutions restricting access to a wide array of websites and services on their WiFi as they believe it’s the best way to ensure that pupils are only using the network for educational purposes.
But let’s face it – censorship of this kind is seldom precise! Students will, more often than not, still find themselves unable to access something which is central to their studies. In fact, even social media can be a pivotal resource for students of sociology or politics.
Dodge School WiFi Restrictions to Access Anything
With PureVPN, you can unblock the most popular streaming services and social media sites at school. Just connect to a country where the site is available and bypass school WiFi blocks to enjoy Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and more.
Many school WiFi networks also restrict access to music and video streaming services, both off and on campus. When you connect to PureVPN, your online activities are secured with top-of-the-line encryption.
This allows you to stream Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, Spotify, BBC iPlayer, and more without getting on the network operator’s radar. They can’t block what they can’t view in the first place!
PureVPN – The Best VPN for School WiFi!
A VPN encrypts all traffic and masks your actual IP address, allowing you to get around restrictions on school WiFi for secure and unrestricted access to information. However, it’s crucial to understand that not any VPN will do.
Some VPNs are better for streaming, whereas others are geared towards security, and so on. PureVPN, on the other hand, is a one-stop-shop for all your online worries and has everything that you look for in a good VPN for school WiFi:
- Servers: Since students need to access content from almost everywhere, the more server choices available, the better. PureVPN has one of the largest server networks in the industry, with 6500+ servers and 300,000+ IPs in 141+ countries.
- Price: We’re aware that students have to operate on a tight budget, and the price of a subscription will play a key role in their decision. PureVPN is an ideal option for students as it offers three reasonably-priced plans to choose from.
- Speeds: Nobody wants a slow connection, and the same goes for students as well. Fortunately, PureVPN places no bandwidth limitations and comes with hundreds of dedicated servers for streaming and downloading.
- Compatibility: Students tend to own multiple devices that run different operating systems, so support for multiple platforms is critical. PureVPN offers sleek and intuitive apps for iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and more!
- Security & Privacy: As with public WiFi, school WiFi connections are far from secure – even if they’re password-protected. PureVPN has a suite of features to protect your security and privacy, such as AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, DNS leak protection, IPv6 leak protection, etc.
How to Set Up a VPN for School WiFi?
Now that you know how a VPN can help you bypass school WiFi restrictions, you’re probably wondering, “how do I set one up on my computer or smartphone?” Well, it’s no rocket science and only takes a few simple steps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Get a PureVPN subscription.
- Download and install the VPN app for your device.
- Log in using your Username and Password.
- Select your preferred Mode.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose SSTP or OpenVPN TCP as your protocol.
- Connect to any server location.
- Use the Internet freely!
Note: SSTP and OpenVPN TCP run on ports 443 and 80 respectively, which means your school WiFi can’t detect and block the VPN. However, if these have been blocked as well, we’d recommend getting in touch with our support team for possible solutions.
If VPN websites are restricted, you’ll have to follow the instructions mentioned above using your mobile connection. Similarly, you can also use public WiFi, such as those found in cafes, parks, and shopping malls. However, never make the mistake of shopping online on these unsecured networks without the protection of a VPN.
Why Avoid Free VPNs for School WiFi?
You’re better off steering clear from free VPNs because the free ones don’t offer the same level of service that paid ones do. Not only most of them ask for an excessive number of permissions, but also some bring a high risk of malware infections.
Free VPNs aren’t non-profits – they too need money to pay for server maintenance, staff salaries, and other overheads. So, there’s a strong possibility that your online activities will be logged and sold to third-parties like advertisers for a profit.
As if that wasn’t enough, you also have to face annoying advertisements, slow speeds, as well as bandwidth limitations. Due to these reasons (and many more), you should always opt for a paid VPN service, such as yours truly – PureVPN!
Wrapping Things Up
That’s all it takes to bypass restrictions on your school’s WiFi connection with a VPN. If you have any questions or confusions though, don’t hesitate to drop a comment below. We’ll respond as soon as we can!