A Guide To Finding Free Wi-Fi in New York
There is over 1,051,818 Free WiFi Hotspots in New York City. LinkNYC Offers Free WiFi Service through kiosks which are also useful to charge your smart phones via USB.
Moreover, those taking the subway to go around NYC can use the Transit Wireless WiFi which is an initiative to provide all metro stations with Free WiFi. To connect to the network, you will have to register using the browser on your device.
Below mentioned are the places you will easily find Free WiFi in New York City:
- Public Library
- City Parks
List of Free Wi-Fi Locations in New York
- Abingdon Guest House/Brew bar Coffee - 13 8th Ave. near Bleecker
- Ace Bar - 531 East 5th St. between Ave. A and Ave. B
- Algonquin Hotel - Free Wi-Fi in the lobby area, 59 W 44th St. between Fifth and Sixth Ave
- Alt.coffee - 139 Ave. A between St. Marks and E. 9th St.
- Apple Store - 103 Prince St. between Mercer and Green. Free Wi-Fi, workshops and demos
- Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Bar - 205 W 50th St. between Broadway and 7th Ave
- Bowery Poetry Club - 308 Bowery between Houston and Bleecker
- Bryant Park - The whole park is a Wi-Fi hotspot. From 40th to 42nd Streets between Fifth and Sixth Avenues
- Cassava - 474 6th Ave. at 12th St.
- The Cellar - 325 East 14th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave.
- Chelsea Market - 75 Ninth Ave. at 16th Street. Free access throughout the market.
- Comfort Inn Midtown - 129 W. 46th St. near Broadway
*NOTE: If you are in Lower Manhattan, then you can find Free Public WiFi offered by the Downtown Alliance in the following locations:
- 60 Wall St. Atrium - 60 Wall St. near Exchange Place
- Bowling Green Park - State Street and Battery Place
- City Hall Park - Between Broadway and Centre St., from Barclay St. to Chambers St.
- South Street Seaport - South St. and Fulton St.
- Staten Island Ferry Terminal - Whitehall Terminal, South St. near Broad St.
- Stone Street - From Broadway to Broad St.
- Wall Street Park - Wall St. from South St. to Front St.
- Winter Garden - World Financial Center atrium
- Vietnam Veteran's Plaza - 55 Water St.
Moreover, there are plenty of other areas that offer Free Wi-Fi in New York.
- DT UT Café - 1626 2nd Ave. between 84th and 85th St.
- Dunkin' Donuts - 166 2nd Ave. between 10th and 11th St.
- EarthMatters - 177 Ludlow St. between E. Houston and Stanton
- Esperanto Café - 114 MacDougal St. between Bleecker and Minetta Lane
- Grounded - 28 Jane St. between West 4th and Greenwich Ave.
- Herald Square Hotel - 19 West 31st St. between Broadway and Fifth Ave.
- Hip Cup Café - 225 Park Row between Pearl St. and Worth St.
- Hotel Chelsea - 222 West 23rd St. between 7th and 8th Ave.
- INI ANI Espresso and Wine Lounge - 105 Stanton St. near Ludlow
- International Food House - 4073 Broadway @ 172nd Street
- James Duane Restaurant - 185 Duane St. near Greenwich St.
- La Quinta Hotel - 17 W. 32nd St. near Broadway
- Lincoln Center Park - Near Avery Fisher Hall at 10 Lincoln Center Plaza
- Millenium Hilton - Free Wi-Fi in the lobby bar and Church & Dey restaurant. 55 Church St.
- New York Public Library - Locations in The Bronx and Manhattan offer "filtered" (you can request that the filter be turned off) access
- Omni Berkshire Place - 21 East 52nd St. at Madison Ave.
- Parish & Co Restaurant - 202 9th Ave. at 23rd St.
- Portland Square Hotel - 132 West 47th St. between 6th and 7th Ave.
- Ramada Inn Eastside - 161 Lexington Ave. at 30th St.
- Red Roof Inn Manhattan - 6 West 32nd St. at 5th Ave.
- Saurin Park Cafe - 301 West 110th Street at Central Park West
- Soy Luck Club - 115 Greenwich Ave. between Horatio and Jane
- St. Dymphna's - 118 St. Mark's Place between 1st Ave. and Ave. A
- Starwich Salads & Sandwiches - 525 West 42nd St.
- Sunburst Espresso Bar - 206 3rd Ave. between 18th and 19th St.
- Sympathy for the Kettle - 109 St. Marks Place between 1st Ave and Ave A
- Super 8 Hotel Times Square - 59 W. 46th St. at 5th Ave
- Tea Spot - 127 MacDougal St. at W. 3rd St.
- Tekserve - 119 W. 23rd St. between 6th & 7th Ave
- Union Square Park - From 4th Ave to Broadway, between 14th & 17th Sts.
- Veniero's Pasticceria & Caffe - 342 East 11th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave
- Zeytuna - 59 Maiden Lane at William St.
- Ziggies Café & Coffeehouse - 1817 2nd Ave. at 94th St.
Why are the Free Wi-Fi Hotspots Unsafe?
Restaurants, cafes, malls, shops, etc. across New York City provide free Wi-Fi service to attract more customers. However, they also attract individuals with an ulterior motive of exploiting users connected to public Wi-Fi hotspots. These individuals are known as cyber criminals or hackers. There are numerous dangers that prevail when you connect to a free unsecured Wi-Fi hotspot.
Typically, free Wi-Fi hotspots are only secured with passwords. This method might have worked if only a chosen few people were allowed to connect to the hotspot. Unfortunately, a business establishment shares the password with every visitor and this allows any hacker to connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot and easily gather the information of individuals who are connected to the same Wi-Fi router.
The hacker can virtually see your online movements and go even a step further to download malware on your device. This allows the hacker to get access to your internet accounts and spy on your social accounts, emails, bank accounts and much more. The hacker can also change your passwords and withdraw or transfer money from your bank account.
How To You Protect Yourself On Free WiFi?
Your online presence should be of eminent importance to you otherwise it may be used against you at any given time. In order to protect yourself against cyber-attacks/criminals, you must use a VPN.
A Virtual Private Network makes you anonymous over the internet. A VPN works by dedicating you an IP of a different server located in a different country. This dupes snoopers as your online traffic gets passed through a secure VPN tunnel.
The best VPN for that matter is PureVPN, which employs military grade 256-bit encryption along with strict protocols to safeguard you against hackers. All your internet requests get encrypted and channeled through the VPN server which secures your online presence.
With PureVPN, you get supreme security and privacy online. Get PureVPN and get access to an online world without boundaries while connecting to any free Wi-Fi hotspot in New York.