How to Remove Metadata from Photos
Follow these steps to Remove Metadata from Photos:
- Right click on the image and select properties .
- Find “details tab” on top and click on it.
- Click “Remove the Following properties from the file” link at the bottom.
- Check mark all the information that you want to be removed from the photo.
- Information attached with the photo is deleted now, you can double check by repeating the same process.
Go through this brief guide to get more detail insights on how to remove metadata from photos.
- What is EXIF and metadata in photos?
- How to Remove Metadata from Photos on Windows
- How to Remove Metadata from Photos on your iPhone or iPad
- How to Remove Metadata from Photos on your Android device
- How to Remove Metadata from Photos on your Mac device
- Why Removing Metadata from Photos is Important
- Why Use PureVPN for Device Security
Did you have any idea that most cameras have some sealed or hidden data behind every photograph that you click? And when you send or receive those images, for instance, uploading them on social media- the hidden information can stay hidden behind the photograph? And that people can obtain that information without any extra hard work? This metadata is known as EXIF data (exchangeable image file format). It is mostly not a big issue, but in rare cases can be abused by black hat hackers and can cause you some trouble.
What is EXIF and metadata in photos?
Exif data is all the technical information that is hidden behind every photograph. By extracting its contents, you can learn a lot about the image, such as how the photograph was captured, location, time, and many others that allow you to master your photography skills to the next level.
Data included in the metadata:
- Camera model and manufacturer
- Date, Time and location of when the photo was taken
- Picture resolution
- Shutter speed, aperture, ISO
- The compression used for photo
Overall, EXIF data is innocent and has the right intention to provide all of these details. Sometimes extra bits of data can be added behind embedded images that can invade your privacy and make you vulnerable.
Consider a smartphone with an equipped camera and GPS functionality. When you capture images from your phone, every capture has attached GPS coordinates attached behind the photo. This provides a great way to geotag photos, but those not having the right intention can extract these coordinates and give away the location to strangers if they find your pictures online.
Considering, an old DSLR camera dated a few years back. Not only EXIF data can contain information about the manufacturer and model, but can also include the serial number.
This serial number can be tracked, and all the pictures were ever taken with this camera.
How to Remove Metadata from Photos on Windows
You can choose a single photo or multiple photos at once while removing metadata on Windows. Follow the steps below and remove metadata from your photos on Windows easily.
- Open the Photos folder.
- Right-click on any photo.
- Click Properties.
Click on Remove Properties and Personal Information.
Now click on “Remove the following properties from this file”.
- Click on OK and you are done.
How to Remove Metadata from Photos on your iPhone or iPad
On the Photos app, there is no way to remove metadata directly from your photos. Both iPhone and iPad are limited when it comes to removing metadata from photos. However, you can still remove metadata on an iPhone or iPad by following the easy steps below:
- On the App Store, type “metadata remover”.
- Click on “Photo & Video Metadata Remover” right here.
- Install the metadata remover app on your device.
- Open the Photo & Video Metadata Remover app.
- Click on any photo.
- Tap on Settings button.
- Now click “clear all metadata”.
- Wait for the processing and you are done.
Note: For further privacy, you can also disable the geotagging options from your photos that identify the exact location where you took the picture. In this way, you can enhance photo security but this option will also disable the “People and Places” album on your photos app. Here’s how to do it:
- On your iPhone or iPad, click on Settings
- Go to Privacy > Location Services > Camera
- Turn off Location Services and you are done
How to Remove Metadata from Photos on your Android device
You need to install a third-party app on your Android device to remove metadata from your photos. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for the “Photo Metadata Remover-Clear Exit Metadata” app here.
- Install the app on your device.
- Open the metadata remover app.
- Select any of your photos.
- Click on OK to remove metadata and you are done.
How to Remove Metadata from Photos on your Mac device
The good news is you have more options to remove Metadata on a Mac compared to iOS, Android, and Windows. You can remove the metadata from photos as well as view the details on your Mac device. Here’s how to remove metadata from your photos on a Mac:
- On your Mac, click on Photos.
- Click on any photo.
- Click on the i-button from the top-right corner to remove the metadata.
- Now choose Location and then Hide Location.
- And you are done.
Why Removing Metadata from Photos is Important
Best Answer: Metadata can put your personal information such as health status, finances, relationships, political views, or social interactions at risk of theft. By accessing your photos, any government surveillance agency or hacker can find out the exact location and time of the picture taken. To make a long story short, your personal identity is not safe until you take care of your personal photos regardless if you don’t share them online. Another way to protect your photos and boost device security is to use a VPN.
Don’t know how VPN works? Click right here and find out everything about a VPN.
Why Use PureVPN for Device Security
Most VPNs don’t use standard security protocols and are even accused of selling data to advertisers and third-party apps. That’s why you must use a premium VPN that offers high-end security to its users. PureVPN uses 256-AES bit encryption protocol (bank-grade encryption) to prevent prying eyes from snooping into your private data like photos. Plus PureVPN has a dedicated Security/Privacy Mode available that enhances security encryption on your device. On top of that, PureVPN doesn’t store customer logs so you can freely use the PureVPN app and stay safe online.
Want to reclaim your online privacy? You might want to check below how to delete your account guides of social media platforms:
- How to delete my account of Skype
- How to delete zoom account
- How to delete youtube video
- How to delete discord account
- How to Remove Gmail Account from Your Smart Device
- How to Delete Your Google Search History Permanently
- How to Stop Someone from Spying On Your Cell Phone
- How to Permanently Delete Your Yahoo Account
- How to Delete Google Photos
- How to Protect Your Webcam from Being Hacked
- Delete Firefox Search Browsing History
- How to Hide Browser History from ISP
- How to Wipe A Phone
- How to Spoof your Location
- How to Delete Your Google Voice History
- How to Delete Safari on Mac or iOS
- How to Delete Pokémon Go Account Permanently
- How to Uninstall Dropbox from Your Desktop or Mobile