In online gaming split-second decisions and light fast reactions can mean victory and defeat. There is a technology that silently plays a vital role in shaping the gaming experience: DNS servers.
The Domain Name System (DNS) servers might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about gaming, but they are the unsung heroes behind the scenes. A DNS server seamlessly enhances connection and gameplay.
Why Should You Get a DNS Server for Gaming?
In the context of gaming, DNS servers play an important role. For instance, each time you connect to a game server, our computer performs DNS lookups on a DNS server.
Here, a gaming DNS server translates requests for domains to computer-friendly IP addresses, and its performance can greatly affect your internet speed and gaming experience.
In gaming, using a fast and reliable DNS server can offer numerous benefits you cannot ignore.
Role of DNS Servers in Gaming and Why Should You Get One?
DNS makes playing games so much easier for you as you don’t have to remember the complex IP addresses as your own. Because of this, you can play with people worldwide and connect with them virtually.
Without the domain name system, you won’t be able to enjoy the games as most of your time will be spent memorizing the IP addresses, and not remembering them would result in losing your gaming data.
Let’s see what these are.
A DNS server closer to your physical location can reduce the time it takes to resolve domain names, potentially lowering the latency in online games.
Some DNS services can route your connection through optimized paths to gaming servers. This way, the delivery of game content is enhanced, and there is a decrease in lag.
Various DNS servers provide security features like filtering out malicious websites and protecting against DDoS attacks, which can benefit online gaming.
Bypassing Regional Restrictions
Changing DNS settings can help bypass regional restrictions. This feature allows you to access servers or content not typically available in your region.
An Enhanced Gaming Experience
Setting up a dedicated DNS server for gaming can improve your overall experience. For instance, the benefits include lower latency, faster response times, and speedy network performance.
Also, a custom DNS server can help you optimize the routing of your gaming data and get you a smoother gaming experience.
12 Best DNS Servers of All Times
Let’s talk about the best DNS Servers of all time.
- Cloudflare DNS
If you are looking for a reliable and one of the fastest public DNS options, then cloudflare is for you. There’s a reason why this particular DNS is so famous among the masses as it doesn’t record your IP address.
This way, your privacy is not compromised and you ultimately receive an extra layer of protection when using it for gaming. When using this DNS, you won’t have to worry about game lags at all as it helps in the optimization of the speed.
- It routes you to the most suitable server
- Comes with a lot of advertisements that can’t be shut down
- PDS: 18.104.22.168
- ADS: 22.214.171.124
- GreenTeam DNS
One of the chief reasons why people opt for a DNS in case of online gaming is the fast-paced connection that doesn’t cause the game to glitch. GreenTeam DNS fulfills this role to a great extent.
Not only this, but you can also add an added layer of protection by using it as it helps keep the malware, adult content and even botnets at bay. You can avail of the free or premium version of this DNS at your convenience.
- The free version comes with security and a fast connection
- The upgraded version enables you to control the DNS fully
- PDS: 126.96.36.199
- ADS: 188.8.131.52
- Google DNS
Google DNS server is an all-in-one deal for all gaming lovers. Security, speed, privacy, and Google DNS serve everything on a silver plate.
You can literally access all the modern gaming websites and play all sorts of games as it supports IPv6. The best thing about this DNS is that it is free and any video streamer or gaming lover can use it.
- Effectively solves the latency issues and connects you to any country’s server easily
- Provides security against phishing attacks
- PDS: 184.108.40.206
- ADS: 220.127.116.11
Also referred to as Cisco Umbrella, OpenDNS is one of the most widely used DNS launched in 2005.
With years of experience and development, this DNS has extraordinary features like protection against phishing attacks, content filtration, fast-paced connection, and more.
Parents tend to find OpenDNS useful because it helps them control the internet content which keeps their kids from viewing unwanted stuff.
- Provides a safe internet connection
- It supports both IPv4 and IPv6
- PDS: 18.104.22.168
- ADS: 22.214.171.124
- OpenNIC DNS
Yet another DNS that has been taking the world by storm because of its remarkable features, OpenNIC DNS, is perfect for those who want unlimited access to the internet with no information filtering.
You can completely depend on OpenNIC DNS for a smooth and steady gaming experience, even when those games have high-quality graphics.
The connection that this DNS has to offer is super fast and keeps your games free from glitches.
- There are no restrictions on any sort of Internet research
- Doesn’t provide you with a safeguard shield against harmful content
- PDS: 126.96.36.199
- ADS: 188.8.131.52
- Quad9 DNS
Keeping yourself safe from malicious sites becomes a full-time task when surfing the internet. There are many websites online that offer exciting gaming experiences but are infected with malware and viruses.
You may mess up your device after being tempted by such sites. Quad9 DNS, however, keeps you safe and secure by preventing your access to such harmful sites.
Based on this information, this DNS gathers data from private and public sources and decides which place to block and which not to stop.
What more do you want than a DNS that safeguards you against malware that might otherwise harm your device?
- Helps keep your information and passwords safe
- Provides you with an optimized speed
- PDS: 184.108.40.206
- ADS: 220.127.116.11
7. Comodo Secure DNS
When it comes to online gaming, quick response is the key to acing the game in the end. Comodo Secure DNS is exactly what you need if you want to actively participate in the game and not let the lagging bother you.
Not only this, but you can also experience it as if you’re part of the game yourself because of the extraordinary graphics quality.
Even the downloading speed is enhanced when you use this DNS server. Once you lay your hands on this server, there’s no going back. It keeps you coming back for more.
You don’t have to restrict it to a single device as Comodo Secure DNS can be controlled from any device and from any location whatsoever.
- Comes with an increased level of security.
- Provides protection against both online and offline content.
- PDS: 18.104.22.168
- ADS: 22.214.171.124
8. Clean Browsing DNS
As the name suggests, Clean Browsing DNS gives you a flawless browsing experience. You won’t have to worry about being tempted into logging into unwanted websites that are full of harmful content and malware.
This server restricts your access to such sites and keeps you safe from various online calamities.
You can disable the trackers and advertisements with the help of this DNS and keep your browsing journey private.
No matter what gaming sites you visit, nobody can figure it out due to the ultimate protection that Clean Browsing DNS offers.
- Comes with a powerful encryption tendency
- Offers free filters and fast connection
- It’s available in both free and premium versions
- Doesn’t come with a reliable customer service
Like its name, SafeDNS ensures a secure and flawless gaming experience you cannot ignore. Often, when we’re busy playing online games, ads keep on popping up.
These ads not only distract us but, at times, contain malicious content as well that can bring real harm to your device.
SafeDNS knows this strategy and has highly effective combating features that fight off these ads.
However, there’s one thing that you need to keep in mind while opting for this DNS. It may save you from ads and harmful sites full of cyber security vulnerabilities but doesn’t protect your IP address.
- Helps secure and filter various websites.
- The premium version is quite economical.
- PDS: 195.46. 39.39
- ADS: 195.46. 39.40
10. Verisign DNS
When it comes to reputable and effective DNS servers, there are numerous options that you can choose from. Verisign also falls under the list of impressive DNS servers.
With an ideal level of uptime, this DNS server is a reliable choice for all the gamers out there. It provides a lag-free gaming experience that increases your chances of winning your favorite games.
Also, any malware or virus won’t be able to invade your device when you’re using it. You can also keep yourself safe from phishing attacks, which keep your private data and information secure.
The best thing about Verisign DNS is that it can deal with high-load traffic. It’s all possible because of its fast response time. This makes it an ideal choice for gaming enthusiasts.
- It enables you to do online backups.
- Verisign DNS is difficult to navigate.
- PDS: 126.96.36.199
- ADS: 188.8.131.52
11. Norton ConnectSafe DNS
Moving on, Norton ConnectSafe is yet another reliable choice when talking about useful DNS servers.
You can win all those online gaming battles you’ve been dreaming about for so long, as the response time of Norton ConnectSafe DNS is to die for. No enemy will be able to surpass you because of this particular feature.
There will be no slowdowns that might create hurdles in your way. You can enjoy a flawless gaming experience because of it.
Plus, this server’s real-time protection comes with background working, enabling it to scan any malware even when you’re not directly using it.
- It blocks unnecessary advertisements.
- It reduces lag and latency.
- Can easily work 24/7.
- It can’t be an alternative to antivirus.
People often need more clarification about the quality of the things that come for free. However, DNS.WATCH will help you eliminate all these doubts with its amazing features and services. Thanks to this server, you can now enjoy a fast and uncensored browsing experience.
What’s more, there’s no limit on the kind of games you can access. DNS.WATCH remains by your side through all these stages.
Numerous security features like ad filtering and malware scanning make it one of the best choices for reliable DNS servers. Thanks to the DNS, you can say goodbye to the intrusions in your online connection.WATCH.
- Provides you with a lag-free gaming experience.
- It doesn’t sell your data to a third party.
- ADS: 184.108.40.206
Step-by-Step Guide to Change DNS Settings
If you are struggling with a lagging and unreliable internet connection while gaming you need to change your DNS Server. It will not only enhance the performance and speed of your network but also provide a better connection.
Now we will take you through the steps of changing your DNS server on Windows, MacOS, and Gaming Console.
- First and foremost, get to know the IP address of the DNS provider that you want to employ as your DNS server. You can choose from our above list.
- Note down the primary and secondary IP addresses of your DNS provider.
- Next, from the start menu, search “Control Panel.”
- Once the control panel opens, click “View by” on the right side of your screen and select “Category.”
- Click on “Network and Internet.”
- From here, click on “Network and Sharing Centre.” Here, you can see the internet connection you’re connected with.
- On the right side of the page, adjacent to the network, you will see your access type. It can be Wifi or Ethernet, depending on your network. Click on it.
- Tap “Properties”. A dialog box will open. From here, select option “Internet protocol version 4”. Then, click on the “Properties” option once again.
- A new pop window will appear on which you can change your IP address. Tap on “Use the following DNS server addresses.”
- Go back to the two IP addresses you jotted down earlier and type them here.
- Click “OK” and close all the pop-up windows.
That is how you provide a new DNS server for your Windows operating system.
- Click on the Apple logo on the top left corner of your screen and tap on “System Preferences.”
- In the system preferences window, click on “Network.”
- Click ethernet, the one you’re connected with.
- Click on “Advance” on the right bottom of your screen.
- Next, select the DNS option. A new pop window will appear. Here, you will see two columns. Under the left column (DNS server), click on the + icon.
- Enter the primary IP address of the DNS server you want to use.
- Again, click on + icon and type the secondary IP address as well.
- Click “OK” and then “Apply”.
- Restart your Mac to apply the changes right away.
- You have successfully changed your Mac’s DNS server.
The following section guides changing your DNS server on Xbox and PlayStation.
- From your homepage, go to settings.
- In the general settings, click “Network Settings.”
- Then click on Advanced Settings.
- In the advanced settings window, click “DNS settings.”
- Change it from automatic to manual.
- Enter the primary and secondary IP addresses of the DNS server you want to use.
- Confirm the changes made by pressing the arrow icon.
- You have switched to a new DNS server!
Play Station 4
- On the home screen, tap on “settings.”
- Go down to the network.
- Then select “Set up network connection.”
- Select whatever internet connection you’re using, i.eWifi.
- You will be given two options, Easy and Custom. Tap on “Custom.”
- Next, select the wifi network you want to choose.
- You will be directed to IP address settings. Select “Automatic.”
- In the DHCP Host Name menu, select “Do not specify.”
- Tap on “Manual” in the DNS settings.
- Type in the primary and secondary IP addresses of the DNS server you want to use.
- Tap “Next” and select “Manual” in MTU Settings.
- Type a 4-digit code. For example, Call of Duty suggests 1476. Click Done.
- Tap “Do not use” in the Proxy Server Menu.
- Finally, click on “Test Internet Connection.
A new window will open where you can see if the new connection makes a difference to your upload and download speed. That’s it. You have successfully changed your DNS server.
How to Update and Enhance the Security of Your DNS Server
The above section lists the best DNS servers you can use for gaming. Though they are the best options that you will find, you can still increase the security of the DNS server by following these suggestions.
Maintain Two DNS Servers
You should keep two DNS servers. The primary server should be used for essential networking and financial security matters.
If you want to reach out to a new gamer or make purchases in your gaming network, you should stick with just one primary server.
Secondary servers can be used for less confidential matters, including streaming. This way, there will be consistency and reliability across both servers.
To protect your servers from getting attacked by hackers, you should make only your secondary server accessible publicly. This step will ensure that even if your secondary server gets compromised, your confidential gaming activities remain protected from intruders.
Therefore, primary DNS servers must not be accessible to external users.
Local DNS Server
It is expected to face server problems during gameplay. The list we discussed earlier contains global servers. We suggest using a local DNS server based on your location for a prompt response to minimize latency.
It will enhance the speed of your connection and provide lower ping.
Enable DNS Logging
By enabling DNS logging, you will be able to identify DNS attacks. Whenever you try to connect with a new gamer or visit a gaming website, your computer will send a DNS request and perform a DNS resolution.
It will help identify threats like malicious URLs or emails from known phishing domains that hackers may send to hack your gaming account.
DNSSEC is a Domain Name System Security Extensions that adds a security layer and decreases attack vulnerability. Anyone who tries to access your game-related data must bypass an authentication protocol.
The DNS server will provide a digital signature whenever they make a request. This step will ensure the information received is accurate and by the owner.
By enabling DNSSEC, you can circumvent DNS protocol attacks, mainly spoofing and cache poisoning.
Enable Locking on the DNS Cache
With lock enabled on the cache, you will restrict hackers from overwriting data on the DNS cache as they manipulate the data saved with malicious files.
Besides cache poisoning, you can also protect yourself from Data Spoofing. Hackers won’t be able to tamper the cache data with fake files, and you will remain safeguarded from vulnerabilities.
Prevent DNS Leak with PureVPN
PureVPN plays a crucial role in preventing DNS leaks because it establishes a secure and encrypted connection for your internet activities.
When you connect to the PureVPN server, all your online traffic, including DNS requests, is encrypted. This encryption ensures that even if intercepted, the data remains indecipherable to potential eavesdroppers.
Furthermore, PureVPN offers a kill switch feature that halts internet traffic if the VPN connection unexpectedly drops. This prevents any potential data, including DNS requests, from leaking outside the secure VPN connection.
PureVPN is ultimately a wonderful tool to maintain the confidentiality of your online activities and prevent unintended DNS disclosures.
Enhance your Gaming Experience with DNS Servers
The impact of a DNS server on gaming performance is always optimal. However it is essential to choose a reputable DNS server that best meets your needs. The blog has covered the best DNS choices you could opt for.