A Chromebook is a laptop based on Chrome OS, designed for web-based applications. It boasts an easy-to-use interface, fast boot times, and security features like Sandboxing, Verified Boot, and more. Chromebooks access files through cloud storage and run applications primarily from the cloud, offering not only seamless access but also streamlined updates.
Due to these unique characteristics, Chromebooks have become a common sight at home, work, and school. However, they do not ensure complete privacy and security when you are online – this is where a high-quality VPN for Chromebook can help! In this guide, we will show you the benefits of using a VPN with Chromebook as well as the steps required to set one up.
Why do you need a VPN for Chromebook?
If you have a Chromebook, here are a few reasons why you need a VPN:
- To improve privacy and security
A VPN encrypts your internet traffic and establishes a secure tunnel between your Chromebook and the VPN server, improving your online security and keeping your personal data safe. It also masks your real IP address and shields your online activities from prying eyes like your ISP, protecting your online privacy.
- To bypass geo-restrictions
If you want to access content blocked in your country, a VPN can help you dodge geo-restrictions. By connecting to a VPN server in another country, you can appear as if you are browsing from that location and gain access to region-specific websites, streaming services, and other content that would otherwise be unavailable.
- To use public Wi-Fi safely
Do you use your Chromebook on public Wi-Fi networks such as those in hotels, airports, and coffee shops? With a VPN, you can add an extra layer of security by encrypting your connection. This prevents potential nearby hackers or snoopers from intercepting your sensitive information or gaining unauthorized access to your device.
How to set up a Chromebook VPN
You have two options when it comes to setting up a VPN on Chromebook, both of which are pretty straightforward. Here are step-by-step instructions for both (do not forget to get a PureVPN account first):
Method #1: Install a VPN Android app
Chromebooks support Android apps, so you can easily install a VPN app from the Google Play Store.
All you have to do is:
- Visit the Google Play Store.
- In the search bar, type PureVPN and select it.
- Hit the Install button and wait for a few seconds.
- Open the PureVPN Android app and enter your username and password to log in.
- Connect to your desired VPN server.
You are good to go!
Method #2: Install a VPN Chrome extension
Chrome is the default browser on Chromebooks, which means you can install a browser extension from the Chrome Web Store.
All you have to do is:
- Visit the Chrome Web Store.
- Search for PureVPN and click the Add to Chrome button.
- Click Add extension and wait for a few seconds.
- Open the PureVPN Chrome extension and enter your VPN credentials to log in.
- Connect to your preferred VPN server.
You are all set!
What makes PureVPN the best VPN for Chromebook
Looking for the best Chromebook VPN? Here is why PureVPN is the best choice:
- Easy-to-use VPN app and extension: Our Android app and Chrome extension is compatible with Chromebook, so you can conveniently set up and use PureVPN on your Chromebook device.
- Strong security features: PureVPN comes packed with all the features you need to stay protected online, such as 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
- Tried-and-tested no-logs policy: You can be sure that your privacy remains intact when using PureVPN on your Chromebook. We do not store any connection or activity logs, as proven by our independently-audited no-logs policy.
- Global server network: With 6,500 servers in 70 countries, you can instantly bypass geo-restrictions and access unavailable content from different regions. Plus, you do not have to worry about overcrowded servers!
- High-speed connections: You always get the fastest possible speeds with PureVPN. Our 20 Gbps servers allow you to stream, download, and play games without slowdowns of any kind.
Frequently asked questions
Does PureVPN support Chromebook?
Yes. PureVPN supports Chromebooks through its Android app and Chrome extension, which can be installed from the Play Store and Chrome Web Store respectively.
Is there a free VPN for Chromebook?
While you may come across free VPNs for Chromebook, we do not recommend using them for multiple reasons.
Firstly, it is crucial to understand that these providers still need to generate revenue. Often, this is done through the use of ad-filled apps or by selling user data to third parties. Some unreliable free VPNs may also be disguised as malware, posing potential risks to your privacy and device.
If you want a reliable and secure VPN experience on your Chromebook, you should choose a paid VPN service like PureVPN.
Does Chromebook have a built-in VPN?
No, Chromebooks do not offer a built-in VPN feature. However, they do come with functionalities that allow you to connect to a VPN server. Nevertheless, in order to establish a VPN connection, you will still need access to a VPN server.
Can I use a VPN on a school Chromebook?
The ability to use a VPN on a school Chromebook depends on the restrictions and policies set by your school. Some schools may have strict network policies that prohibit the use of VPNs or the installation of certain extensions and apps.
Why is my VPN not working on Chromebook?
If your Chromebook VPN is not functioning properly, here are a few potential fixes you can give a try:
Update VPN extension or app
If you are using a VPN extension or app on your Chromebook, make sure it is up to date. Outdated versions of VPN software can sometimes fail to establish a connection or cause compatibility issues.
Change VPN settings
In some cases, you can resolve connectivity problems by simply adjusting the settings of your VPN app or extension. Therefore, try changing the VPN protocol or server location and see if that works.
Contact VPN support
If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we advise getting in touch with the customer support team of your VPN provider. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps and assistance to get your Chromebook VPN working again.
In essence, using a VPN on your Chromebook is an easy decision if you value enhancing your online privacy and security as well as expanding your access to content, regardless of your location.