PPTP VPN is one of the fastest speed protocols and it is compatible with almost every operating system. It is the best option for online streaming and gaming purposes.Even though PureVPN includes the PPTP protocol, it requires manual configuration to get started.
A Brief Overview of PPTP VPN
What is PPTP VPN?
Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) is one of the oldest protocols by Microsoft, and it’s also pretty darn fast. In fact, it is the fastest of all VPN protocols. That means it’s a great option for applications where speed is important such as streaming and gaming. That being said, PPTP is not as secure because of its weak encryption standard.
How Does a PPTP Work?
When used for remote access over the Internet, PPTP uses the TCP port 1723 for communication which uses the Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol to encapsulate PPP packets. When initiated from the client side, PPTP tunneling doesn’t need devices like routers, etc.
Why is PPTP a Popular VPN Protocol?
PPTP is not only very easy to set up but also compatible with most desktop and mobile operating systems. And that’s why people uses the PPTP protocol when speed is more important than security. But sometimes you gotta try another protocol, because PPTP might rock for speed, but it has many well-known vulnerabilities.
Pros and Cons of PPTP VPN
- Speed: PPTP offers the fastest speed among all other protocols.
- Set Up: Any user with some or little knowledge can configure the PPTP protocol easily.
- Availability: It is available on all the major and current operating systems.
- Compatibility: Default Windows compatibility
- Encryption: PPTP comes with RSA and RC4 algorithms which uses 128-bit encryption.
- Performance: PPTP has several performance issues when you connected on unsteady connection.
- Security: The protocol isn’t ideal for users and businesses who want to keep their data secure.
- Support: No support for Perfect Forward Secrecy
Features of PPTP VPN
Guaranteed Data Delivery
The PPTP protocol uses the GRE and TCP port 1723 for smooth data transmission.
Multi Protocol Tunneling
While some only enable you to tunnel Internet Protocol (IP) packets, PPTP has the ability to tunnel all RAS supported protocols.
Due to low level encryption, it offers highest speed as compared to other protocols. (It’s a toss up! What do you want, speed or security?)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is PPTP VPN Secure?
The Answer is No, because PPTP uses 128 bit encryption and have numerous security vulnerabilities. That is why it is insecure.
Is PPTP VPN Fast?
Yes! PPTP is one of the fastest VPN protocol because it doesn’t employ much encryption and can keep its focus on providing fastest speeds.