In this day and age, tracking a person’s whereabouts is not difficult at all. You can also track the complete history of where a person went today, what he did today, or what his daily routine has been over the past few days.
You only need to be a bit skilled at unethical hacking and know how to find a phone’s IP address or ways to change an IP address.
Not interested in hacking or basic ethics don’t allow you to indulge in hacking and making other people’s life miserable? Well, that’s awesome, and we need more people like you in the world!
Unfortunately, not all people think like that, especially hackers. These cybercriminals can do a lot of damage to your privacy or sensitive data than you can handle. They can do all that and much more by tracking your IP address.
To get around such problems, you need to learn how to change the IP address on your Android devices. But, let’s first learn what an IP address is and why you need to change the IP location of your Android device.
How to Change Your IP Address to Another Country
You don’t need to bug your geeky friends or learn how to code when it comes to changing your IP address, whether you are using an iPhone, Android, Mac, computer, or laptop. There are three different ways to change your IP address even if you are using your home network.
Here are the top three ways you can change your IP address:
Use a VPN or Virtual Private Network
A VPN app can be your best and absolutely safest bet at hiding your IP address from your internet service provider and surveillance agencies. All you have to do is turn on the VPN app, choose a country server, and you are virtually transported to another location (city, country, or continent). Just a laptop click away. Using a VPN is like signing into your Gmail or Facebook account. Click and you’re online. Even though your ISP doesn’t see your activities once you’re connected to a VPN, in most countries with a few rare exceptions, using a VPN is completely allowed by any ISP’s Terms of Service. Easy peasy.
2. Use Tor Browser
The Tor Browser is just like your Google Chrome or Opera browser but with high-grade anonymity. Some privacy experts in our company are not a big fan of the Tor browser and say that it derails your privacy and is breakable. But all in all, you can use the Tor browser, also known as Onion Router, to remain anonymous online as long as you want. Be mindful that Tor is so anonymous that your access may be limited (not all external sites are fond of Tor either), but it is a good option if you need to change your IP address, assuming your destination lets you in.
3. Use a Proxy Server
A proxy server is like a gateway that is specifically designed to help you access region-locked websites and services (just what a VPN does). You can also use a proxy server to install P2P files. There are two types of proxy servers that help you regulate outbound and inbound internet traffic: a Forward proxy and a Reverse proxy. However, unlike a VPN, a proxy server doesn’t encrypt your internet traffic or offer any multi-device compatibility.
How to Change Your IP Address of iPhone
- Go to Settings
- Now to the Wi-Fi
- Tap the info icon beside the name of the Wi-Fi network that you want to change the IP address for
- Go to the Static tab.
- Enter the desired IP address in the IP Address bar
- Click the Wi-Fi icon to save these changes.
How to Change Your IP Address of Android Phone
- Go to your Android Settings
- Tap Wireless & Networks
- Go to the Wi-Fi section
- Tap & hold the Wi-Fi network that you are connected to right now
- Tap Modify Network
- Expand or Go to Advanced options
- Change your android’s IP Address DHCP to Static.
How to Find Your Android Device’s IP Address (Local IP):
- Go to the Settings
- Scroll down and tap About Phone
- Now, tap Status
- Scroll down, and you will see both the local IP and Mac address of your Android device.
With the above steps, you can find out the local IP address of your Android. However, if you want to learn about your public IP address, check it on https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-my-ip or https://whatismyipaddress.com/. You can also learn multiple ways to find your IP address or different operating systems.
How to Change IP Address and Location on Android with VPN?
- First of all, sign up for PureVPN.
- Visit the PureVPN Android app page to download the Android version.
- Once you have installed the app on your Android device, open the app, and use your PureVPN credentials to log in.
- Choose the destination of your choice and hit connect.
- Now visit the https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-my-ip or https://whatismyipaddress.com/ to check your new IP and location.
What is an IP Address?
IP address follows a 32-bit numeral format. It is an identity that a device receives when it connects to the Internet. The same ID is used on the network to communicate amongst devices on a network.
The website addresses you remember easily are based on IP addresses. IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) is currently the most common IP format used around the globe. However, in the coming years, IPv6 will become the standard IP format globally, which uses the 128-bit numerical system.
Note: Read a brief guide on What is an IP Address?
Image Credit: FCC.Gov
Types of IP Address
When you join a network, you are assigned an IP address by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Depending on the type of connection or your ISP’s preference, you may be assigned either a static IP address or a dynamic IP address.
Static IP Address
As the name suggests, it is the IP address that never changes. You may also call it a dedicated IP address or a personal IP address.
ISPs don’t usually assign a static IP address unless the user requests it. It is frequently used by gamers, remote workers as well as website owners.
The IP address serves as a personal key to unlock access to certain web services and applications. For instance, users would allow (Whitelist) an IP address on their website CMS so that only they can access the system using a static IP from any network.
- It is reliable for gaming as well as VoIP applications.
- It is ideal for accessing remote networks or connections securely.
- It is great for apps and services that use geolocation.
- It experiences less downtime.
- It allows devices to communicate with remote devices reliably.
- It can be tracked easily since it doesn’t change when the connection resets.
- It is expensive than its counterpart.
- If a service blocks the IP, the user would have to change the IP to regain access.
- It poses a potential security risk.
- It is set up manually by the user.
Note: Learn more about Static vs. Dynamic IP Address
Dynamic IP Address
Unlike a static IP address, a dynamic IP address changes at every new connection or when the connection resets.
It is one of the most commonly used IP address type by an ISP. After all, it is way more cost-effective than its counterpart, the static IP. Moreover, the IP address is used by all types of internet users.
One of the best aspects of using a dynamic IP is that a user wouldn’t need to go through complicated steps to setup it up since it is configured automatically.
- It is cheaper than static IP addresses.
- It offers a user better privacy since it changes with every new connection.
- It can be changed at any time by restarting the router.
- It doesn’t require any manual setup process.
- It cannot be whitelisted because whitelisting requires a fixed IP.
- It is shared with multiple users at any given time.
- It may experience extended downtime.
- It may lack remote access functionality.
Why do you need to Change an IP Address?
Only a VPN such as PureVPN can help you hide your IP and location with an anonymous IP. Here are the benefits you get to experience with a VPN.
1) Get Past Blocked Websites
The best advantage of using a VPN service is that you can circumvent the content restrictions usually placed by the government or an ISP. As a result, you can enjoy all your favorite applications or websites that don’t work in your country.
2) Protect Your Data
A VPN enables a user to mask the IP and protects the data transmission using 256-bit encryption. The military-grade encryption keeps all types of data hacks at bay, thereby keeping your data secure.
3) Become Anonymous
Internet freedom is becoming a significant concern these days. Anyone can identify your real identity through the IPs, even if you use pseudo profiles. With a VPN, you can maintain the strict anonymity of your identity by changing your IP as well as location.
4) Create Different Accounts on a Single Website
Another benefit of using a VPN is that you can create multiple profiles on a single website. Certain websites allow only one account per IP. If you come across such websites, you no longer need to worry about their account restrictions.
Why Does Your Android Device Need an IP Address?
You might be wondering why an Android device would need an IP address?
Well, when you connect to the Internet at your home, office, or any public place, your device is among millions of other devices connected to the network. To communicate with other devices on the network, your device has to have an identity. An IP address is an identity that your device receives on a local or public network.
The communication flow on the Internet works in terms of packet flows. You send a packet (information) to another device so it can receive it. And, you do it back and forth. Unless you know the other person’s identity (IP address), you won’t be able to connect and thus send any packets.
Likewise, your Android is also a device, and thus to work on the Internet, it needs to have an IP address so that it can start sending and receiving data packets.
Why Should You Care About the IP Address?
Before we teach you how you can change or hide the IP Address on Android devices, let’s take a quick look at the dangers associated with having your real IP exposed.
- You Can’t Access Region-Locked Content: There are many reasons why a country would restrict particular online material. Regardless of the reason, they limit the content by blocking it on the IP your ISP assigns.
- You are Prone to Cyberattacks: When you use your real IP on a network, anyone who knows your IP can quickly launch a cyberattack on your device. These cyberattacks may range from security exploits to privacy breaches to full-blown DDoS attacks.
- You Can’t Use Your Rights to Free Speech: Freedom of speech is becoming a difficult thing to exercise these days. For instance, if you make any controversial comment against authority, you can be tracked through your real IP even if you use a pseudo profile.
If you are worried about your data security, online privacy, or getting past the dreaded location-blocks, change your Android device’s IP address with the steps mentioned above. Enjoy an anonymous Internet browsing experience with PureVPN like never before.