How to delete Google Search History
Wondering how to get rid of your Google history and want to delete and clear browsing cache? Don’t worry. This detailed guide will help you learn how to delete your Google search history permanently.
Moreover, if you are looking for ways to boost your online privacy, try PureVPN.
Table of Content
- Is Deleting Google Search History Enough?
- How to Delete Google Search History
- How to Download Your Google Search History?
- How to Delete Google Search History on Android?
- How to Delete Google Search History on iPhone?
- How to Delete Google Search History on iPad?
- How to Manage Your Google Activity?
- Why Google Tracks your Activity?
- Enhance Your Online Privacy
- Reclaim your online privacy
Is Deleting Google Search History Enough?
Some people have this misconceived notion that if they delete web history from their browser periodically, it would be enough to keep them private. No more history, no proofs left, right? Well, it’s not as simple as you believe.
In the growing age of digital optimization, it is not enough to delete browsing history. You should also know how to clear Google history since it helps you optimize your privacy. And, it can protect you from stumbling into embarrassing situations.
For a moment, can you recall what you were searching for a decade ago? Obviously not, but here’s a surprise; Google does. Google Web browser history and web App activity is keeping track of all your searches since 2005. Anyhow, there’s nothing to fret about as you can always find a solution. Just to add to your smartness, clearing your internet history from your browser will not delete history from Google’s servers.
To make it easier for you, this guide will provide you in-depth details on how to delete history on Google, how to manage your Google Activity, and what happens next.
How to Delete Google Search History
Sign-in to your Google Account.
Head towards your Google App and Web Activity section and click Manage Activity.
At the top right, click three dotted lines and select Delete activity by from drop down box.
Choose the time period that you don’t want Google to remember or you can also select All time to delete your search history.
You’ll get a confirmation notification from Google stating your history has been deleted.
How to Download Your Google Search History?
You can also download an archive list of your Google history before proceeding to delete it all the way for future use and to use the downloaded history on other accounts too. Follow the below steps to do so:
Begin by signing into your Google account.
Head over to My Activity and you’ll be prompted with the following page.
Click the three-dot option in the top right section where you’ll find ‘Other Google Activity’
Once there, scroll down to ‘Download your data from My Activity’ and click ‘Download your data’.
You’ll be taken to a new page where you’ll get the option to either select or deselect the browsing data or archives you want to download. Click ‘next step’.
You’ll land on ‘Customize Archive Format’, where you’ll have the option to select Export Type and File Type and Size. Click ‘Create Achieve,’and your file will begin downloading.
How to Delete Google Search History on Android?
- Open Chrome on your Android phone or tablet and go to the address bar and typemyactivity.google.com.
Tap on the menu icon 3 horizontal lines on address bar and select Delete Activity by.
Select the time frame from given options. (Last hour, last day, all time, Custom Range).
The selected activity and history will be deleted from your account.
How to Delete Google Search History on iPhone?
Open Google Chrome or Safari on your iPhone and go to address bar and type myactivity.google.com.
Tap on the 3 horizontal lines and select Delete Activity by.
Choose the date range you want to delete.
- After tapping on delete, a warning popup will appear. Tap on Ok to delete your Google history on iPhone for good. Remember, the deleted items can’t be recovered!
How to Delete Google Search History on iPad?
- Open Google Chrome or Safari on your iPad and go to myactivity.google.com.
- Tap on the 3 horizontal lines and select Delete Activity by.
- Tap on All products and select Search.
- Below Delete by Date, tap the down arrow and select All Time.
- After tapping on delete, A warning popup will appear. Tap on Ok to delete your Google history on iPad. Remember, the deleted items can’t be recovered!
How to Manage Your Google Activity?
In case you are wondering how to view search history or any other activity, you can always do this through Google privacy settings. All you need to do is sign into your Google account and head to My Activity located in your privacy settings for activity controls. Here, you’ll find all your digital activities routed via Google services and products like Chrome, YouTube, Google Maps and Search data.
Anyhow, on the My Activity page, your activities will be listed in a chronological order and you have the option to customize the activities. Make sure your are connected to the internet and make sure you are logged in.
How to Disable or Delete “My Activity” in Google Account?
If you don’t want to limit your privacy to searches alone and want to hide (permanently) all your Google activities along with activity and timeline, you might want to learn how to delete “My Activity” in Google or simply turn off the activity tracking mechanism. Here, you can see and delete all your activites.
Switch Off Tracking in “My Activity”
- Go to the My Activity page
- Click the Menu (⋮) to go to “Activity Controls“
- Toggle-off all the services that you don’t want Google to track along with activity and timeline
Delete “My Activity” History in Google Account
- Visit the My Activity page
- Click to go to “Delete Activity by“
- Change Date to “All time” and products to “All Products“
- Click Delete
Why Google Tracks your Activity?
Whatever you want to do online is your choice and it’s your personal matter. Keeping tabs on you, especially without your knowledge, is not at all ethical.
As per Google: Google keeps the track record of your search history to create your profile leveraging your search results. It helps the search engine become more relevant while answering your search queries and exposes you to more relevant searches and options.
All it needs is your habits, preferences, and interests that can be easily explored via your browsing history. Basically, they don’t need it to cause any sort of harm to you, but it does not eliminate the fact that you are sharing your privacy with someone else.
Enhance Your Online Privacy
Even if you delete or disable your history, you are not invisible to Google, especially if you have a Google account for various Google apps and services, such as Gmail, Android phone, and YouTube.
It’s nearly impossible to be invisible to Google, but you can be prudent. You can do this by eliminating all Google apps and services from your daily web browser history and use search engines, like DuckDuckgo, that doesn’t track your search activity.
To step up your online privacy game even further, you should get an Anonymous VPN like PureVPN since it allows you to stay secure by encrypting your online activity. It changes your IP Address, not allowing your ISP provider to keep track of your internet activity along with search activity and builds a strong wall between you and those looking for your online activity. It is also advisable to get TOR along with a VPN Service to further aid in keeping your online browsing activities private
Don’t forget, deleting your internet history optimizes your online privacy but also has some drawbacks. Your preferences will no longer matter, and you can view broader search results, but on top of that, your favorite search results will not appear on the top.
Want to reclaim your online privacy? You might want to check below how to delete your account guides of social media platforms:
- How to delete TikTok Account
- How to delete or deactivate your Instagram Account
- How to Permanently Delete your Twitter Account
- How to Permanently Delete Kik Account
- How Does Facial Recognition Work
- How to Delete Your OkCupid Account Permanently
- How to Fix “Your Connection is Not Private” Error in Google Chrome
- How to Remove Exif and Metadata from Photos
- How to tell if Your Phone is hacked
- How to Uninstall Chromium
- How to Delete Facebook Messenger
- How to Delete Telegram Account
- How to Delete Tinder Account
- How To Close Your Amazon Account
- How to Delete WhatsApp Account Permanently