Apple TV is a popular digital media player that lets you watch movies and shows on your TV, but you’re bound to experience the same issues as other streaming services and devices. Fortunately, you can solve those problems by setting up and using an VPN on Apple TV.
How to Use VPN on Apple TV?
As mentioned, Apple TV doesn’t support a VPN connection. The good news is there are a few workarounds to secure it with PureVPN. The most common method is to use your router, but there are other ways as well:
- Connect Apple TV via a wireless router
- Connect Apple TV VPN via Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Connect Apple TV VPN using an Ethernet connection
Method # 1: Connect Apple TV to a Wireless Router Running a VPN
Follow these simple steps to setup an Apple TV VPN using your wireless router.
Step #1: Get a VPN Subscription
You need to get a VPN subscription first for your Apple TV.
Step #2: Get a VPN Router
You’ll need a compatible VPN router. Here are some recommended routers:
- Netgear Genie
Step #3: Set Up the VPN on Your Router First
After you select your VPN router, you need to set up a VPN account on your VPN router according to the details sent by the VPN provider. Setting up VPN details on your router is not so difficult, but if you face any difficulty, here’s our guide on how to setup a VPN router. If you have any router from the aforementioned list, you should have no difficulty in setting up the VPN.
Step #4: Connect Apple TV with Wireless Router
It is simple to connect Apple TV with the wireless router; you just need to select the correct network.
- Switch on your Apple TV device
- Go to Settings > General > Network > Configure Wi-Fi
- Select Your Wi-Fi Network > Enter Password > Done!
However, running PureVPN on your router has certain upsides and downsides:
- Your router will cover all your devices, including your Apple TV.
- You’re always protected as long as your router is on and running, of course.
- Everyone is covered, whether it’s guests or your family members. They’re going to enjoy top-notch online security as soon as they hop onto your network.
- One PureVPN account can be used on up to 10 devices at once, but you can secure as many devices as you want with your VPN-enabled router. The best part of all, it will count as a single connected device!
- The setup process is inconvenient. Putting a VPN on your router isn’t as straightforward as downloading the app or software on your device. What’s more, you’ll have to access your router’s user interface every time you want to change your server or country.
- Incoming access is blocked. You won’t be able to connect to any devices from outside your Wi-Fi network when your router is running a VPN.
- You won’t be able to select the encryption protocols that give you the best possible security unless you opt for a powerful router. Low-power routers won’t get the job done if security is your main priority.
- Since the encryption procedure takes place on your router, your traffic will remain unsecured until it reaches your VPN-enabled router. However, this shouldn’t be much of a problem if your home network is well protected.
Method # 2: Connect Apple TV to a Laptop Running VPN & Acting as a Wi-Fi
This is very easy to do. All you need is:
- A laptop with a LAN/Ethernet internet connection
- PureVPN account
- VPN software for the Operating System running on your laptop.
If you have a Windows laptop, simply download the Windows VPN App
If you have a MacBook, download the Mac VPN App
Download, install and run the VPN app on your laptop. You should have your VPN account by now. Simply enter your username and password and connect to a United States server. Once your VPN is connected, all you need to do is convert your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Method # 3: Setup an Apple TV VPN Via Network Sharing Using Ethernet
While setting up Apple TV VPN using Ethernet you will need to use your computer as a VPN router. To start with the VPN on Apple TV configuration, first you need to install the VPN software on your laptop or desktop.
Connect your laptop to your WiFi network. Now, attach one end of the Ethernet/LAN cable to your laptop and the other to your device.
Now, connect VPN and select United States IP and follow these simple steps:
For Windows Users:
- Go to “Control Panel” and click on “Network and Sharing Center”
2. Click on Change Adapter Settings
3. Navigate to your Connection properties
4. Under the Sharing tab, click on “Allow other Network users to connect through this computer connection”
5. Then select your “Home networking connection” from the menu.
6. This will allow your Apple TV device to connect to the internet via your computer with an Ethernet/LAN cable using the already installed and running VPN connection on the computer.
For Mac OS X Users:
1. Go to “System Preferences” and select “Sharing Option”.
2. Select “Internet Sharing” and under the option titled “Share Your Connection from” select “Wi-Fi” mode. Now, go to “To computer using” and select “Ethernet” so that your Apple TV device can use the internet through your Mac device’s Ethernet/LAN port.
Frequently Asked Questions About Apple TV VPN
PureVPN receives dozens of queries every day related to Apple TV VPN. The following are some of the most frequently asked.
Why would I use a VPN on my Apple TV?
In the case of streaming devices like Apple TV, a VPN is used to give users access to unavailable content from other countries. Take, for instance, you’re living in UK and want to stream US Netflix on your Apple TV – this is possible only if you’re using a VPN!
Besides that, a VPN also helps you hide your online activities from ISPs to get around their throttling efforts, which usually results in slower speeds. It also enhances your anonymity to a certain degree, making it difficult for your traffic to be linked back to you.
Is Apple TV+ the Same Thing as Apple TV?
Nope. Apple TV is a box-shaped digital media player that enables you to watch your favorite content on your TV through streaming services like Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix. Apple TV+, on the other hand, is Apple’s own over-the-top streaming service with original TV shows and movies.
What Countries are Available on Apple TV?
Apple TV offers different features and functionalities depending on your location. Users in the US receive the most content providers while those in Australia receive much less. Siri is limited to the following countries:
- Australia (English)
- Canada (English, French)
- Germany (German)
- France (French)
- Mexico (Spanish)
- Netherlands (Dutch)
- Norway (Norwegian Bokmål)
- Japan (Japanese)
- Spain (Spanish)
- Sweden (Swedish)
- United Kingdom (English)
- United States (English, Spanish)
You can find out about apps, features, and content providers that are available in your country on the official Apple website.
How do I Set up Netflix on Apple TV
Just follow these simple steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Type Netflix in the Search
- Click the Netflix app and choose Download.
- Once downloaded, click Open.
- Log in using your existing Netflix account and you’re good to go!
How to Watch Hulu on Apple TV
- Open your App Store.
- Type Hulu in the Search.
- Click Hulu App and press get to download the application.
- Open the application and sign in to the app using your credentials.
- Enjoy streaming Hulu on your Apple TV.
How to Get BBC iPlayer on Apple TV
- Open the App Store on your Apple TV.
- Search for BBC iPlayer.
- Choose BBC iPlayer and click the download option to get the BBC iPlayer app on your Apple TV.
Related: How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV
How to Watch Disney Plus on Apple TV
- Open the App Store.
- Search for “Disney Plus” and click the Get button to download and install.
- Open the app and sign in with the account you created online.
- With sign-in complete, pick a movie or original series and enjoy!
How to Watch HBO Max on Apple TV
- Open the App Store on Apple TV
- Search HBO Max and then download
- Open the HBO Max app
- Sign in and begin watching HBO Max content
How do I Set up Kodi on Apple TV?
Are you wondering, “How to put Kodi on Apple TV?” Well, you’ve come to the right place. Take a look at our comprehensive Kodi VPN guide to learn the steps to install and use Kodi on Apple TV.
Can I Use a Free Apple TV VPN?
We advise against using any supposedly free VPN for Apple TV. Firstly, most free VPN services require that users install their apps, so installing one on your wireless router isn’t possible. Secondly, while you could use free OpenVPN servers, chances are they’re too congested and enforce data caps or bandwidth limits, which means excessive buffering while streaming videos.
Lastly, free VPNs are also notorious for collecting your personal data and selling it to third-parties – that’s the opposite of what VPNs are supposed to do! Some also end up installing malware on your device. For these reasons (and others), you’re better off avoiding free VPN providers.
Can I Have Two Apple IDs for Different Countries?
Absolutely. You can create a second Apple ID in another country – just choose your desired country when setting it up. However, if you want to make any purchases through your new account, you’ll have to provide a local billing address and form of payment.
Can I Use Airplay with a VPN on My Apple TV?
You shouldn’t face any issues in using Airplay with a VPN on your Apple TV in most cases. It depends on your VPN service, really.
Will Netflix Work on My Apple TV with a VPN?
Again, it comes down to the VPN service you use. PureVPN, for example, supports Apple TVs and is capable of unblocking Netflix from anywhere in the world.
Does PureVPN Work on all Generations of Apple TV?
When you set up PureVPN on your router, you can enjoy the benefits of a VPN on any generation of Apple TV, be it old or new.