What is VPN Split Tunneling?
Split Tunneling VPN protects the traffic you route through the VPN network, and at the same time, you don’t lose any access to your local network and devices connected to that network.
Essentially, services that require your VPN IP address, and the services that require your ISP’s IP address can both function together as split tunneling will separate the requests between the two.
Why I Need Split Tunneling?
Split Tunneling enables you the option to choose what traffic routes via the VPN network (encrypted) and the rest will via your ISP (nonencrypted).
Mask your digital identity and browse the web anonymously via the encrypted VPN tunnel.
Conveniently access dual networks without having to connect and disconnect the VPN repeatedly.
Access foreign TV shows/movies with the help of a VPN and continue browsing via your local IP address simultaneously.
Evade ISP Throttling
Dodge ISP throttling and bandwidth caps put in place by your ISP when connected to the VPN service.
How to Enable Split Tunneling on PureVPN’s Android App
- Tap the menu (≡) at the top left.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Advanced.
- Tap Split Tunneling.
- Select “All apps will use a VPN” if you would like to route all your apps via a VPN IP.
- Select “Only allow selected apps to use VPN” if you would like to run specific apps via VPN IP and the rest of them via your ISP IP.
How to Enable Split Tunneling on PureVPN’s Windows App
- Open PureVPN Window’s App
- Click the Settings icon in the bottom left corner.
- Tap Split Tunneling.
- Turn button OFF to ON under “Manage your VPN connection on per-app basis” if you would like to run specific apps via VPN IP and the rest of them via your ISP IP.
- You can even Add/Remove Applications by clicking on “Modify Apps” under “List of apps” for choosing VPN IP to run specified apps.
Learn More About PureVPN’s Features
All users can connect to any Wi-Fi with complete confidence and peace of mind
Get the freedom to distribute your internet traffic as you please between PureVPN and your ISP
Transform your Windows device into a hotspot to secure all connected devices
PureVPN is compatible with a wide range of routers to secure your home or office network
Internet Kill Switch
Use our fail-safe IKS feature to ensure your real online identity remains a secret even if you lose connection to the VPN
PureVPN uses bank-grade AES 256-bit encryption to secure your Wi-Fi network traffic
Use our service to remain protected against IPv6, WebRTC and DNS leaks at all times
Hide your real IP address with PureVPN and enjoy anonymous web browsing
Frequently Asked Questions
What will happen if you don’t have Split Tunneling enabled?
If you don’t have split tunneling enabled:
- You won’t be able to access overseas and local content simultaneously.
- Transmitting all data through the ISP may exhaust your available bandwidth allotment for the month, meaning you may get throttled.
- You can’t access LAN devices while you’re connected to the VPN client.
Is there a risk when using Split Tunneling?
Split Tunneling alone comes with its set of risks. However, a split-tunnelling VPN is a secure way of routing your internet traffic. Once enabled, users route their internet traffic via PureVPN’s AES 256-bit encryption that’s there to secure your online activities against hackers, cybercriminals, and prying eyes.