BBC iPlayer is one of the best British streaming services that offers a massive list of amazing TV shows and series that have won the heart of many. Shows such as Top Gear and Doctor Who has a mind-blowing fan following not only in the UK but across the globe.
Unfortunately, you would notice that BBC iPlayer is not working to for Internet streamers outside the UK. If you try to access any show on the streaming service from outside the UK, you will see an error message that reads,
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
Now, you might say that if we use a VPN, we can easily get past that restriction. It is certainly true. However, some users still complain about issues regarding some errors such as the most common, BBC iPlayer proxy error.
If it sounds like you, don’t worry. There is a quick workaround and you are assured to enjoy BBC iPlayer without any annoying proxy errors.
Before we get to the solution, let’s learn more about the different causes behind the error.
Here’s Why You Might Get BBC iPlayer Proxy Error
When you look for the BBC iPlayer proxy error on Google, you will see many people who are as confused as you about why the streaming service is displaying the error.
Well, let’s take a quick look at some of the most common causes of the error:
- Cookies and caches can often end up creating a lot of trouble when it comes to browsing the Internet, downloading files or streaming online content. Such issues mostly arise when users don’t clear their cookies and cache periodically. So, if you are behind a VPN and still getting the error, it is most probably because of old browser cache.
- If the VPN has blacklisted IPs, it won’t be able to connect to the BBC iPlayer server and thus you would get the proxy error message.
- Another problem behind the error could be related to a corrupted VPN. If the VPN is corrupted, it would fail to work properly. More importantly, it won’t be able to mask your real IP. And if your real IP is exposed, you won’t be able to access the streaming service.
- If you are using a VPN that doesn’t come with an IPv6 Leak Protection feature, you are highly likely to receive a BBC iPlayer proxy error. IPv6 leak is a major concern when it comes to VPN services, since many unreliable services don’t offer built-in DNS and IPv6 leak protection.
- If you are trying to watch the videos on a mobile device, the data reduction feature might be a factor, triggering the proxy error.
How to Fix BBC iPlayer Proxy Error with PureVPN
As we have already discussed above that some of the common reasons of BBC iPlayer proxy error are unreliable VPNs, blacklisted IPs, and lack of IPv6 Leak protection. So, it is best to turn to a VPN service that is free from all such issues.
We recommend you to use PureVPN, because it is the best VPN to watch BBC iPlayer. Our VPN service has a large pool of working anonymous IPs that can let you access BBC iPlayer from anywhere you want. Moreover, our VPN service offers built-in DNS leak protection, IPv6 leak protection, and many other features that assure anonymity and security.
Here’s what to do if your BBC iPlayer stops working:
1. Get PureVPN
PureVPN is one of the leading VPN services that provides instant access to your favorite streaming channels and that includes not only BBC iPlayer but also Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and more.
Therefore, if you want to access BBC iPlayer without coming across any proxy error message, subscribe to PureVPN. To subscribe, go to PureVPN’s order page and choose the plan that suits your need.
We recommend our users to opt for 2-year plan because it liberates you from the worries of resubscription for another 600 days.
2. Download Extension
It is recommend that you not only install the PureVPN standalone application but also its browser extension. After all, you can access BBC iPlayer only through the extension.
Needless to say, the extension gives you the ease of experiencing Internet freedom, anonymity and security right from your browser.
3. Connect PureVPN
PureVPN gives additional attention to the convenience of its users. Therefore, we have added a shortcut to the main screen of the extension. You can simply log in to the extension, go to the Popular Websites option and click BBC iPlayer UK to instantly connect to the streaming service.
As simple as that!
4. Access BBC iPlayer!
Once you are connected to the VPN, you can not only access the BBC iPlayer streaming service but also all the TV channels and shows that service has to offer.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer?
Since BBC iPlayer is a UK-based streaming service, its broadcasting rights are tied to the local region only. As a result, users living or traveling outside the UK cannot access the content of the streaming service.
Moreover, it is not only BBC iPlayer but many other popular streaming services such as Netflix, SlingTV, FuboTV, and more follow the same pattern. To keep users from accessing the service from outside the permitted region, these services often blacklists the IPs when users try to use proxy services.
However, when you use a reliable VPN such as PureVPN, you are free to use its thousands of anonymous IPs and thus access BBC iPlayer without any worries.
To Wrap Thing Up
Lastly, if you don’t want to miss out on your favorite BBC iPlayer TV shows and series such as Doctor Who or Top Gear, try PureVPN today!