Safer Internet Day 2021
Each year, Safer Internet Day reminds us that while our technologies are getting smarter, so are the cybercriminals who use them for illicit purposes. PureVPN has always been a firm patron of this day to raise awareness amongst users, giving users monthly accounts to increase the number of users protected online. Sign up today for a chance to win one of these accounts as the 2021 Safer Internet Day approaches. #SaferInternetDay #SID2021
History of Safer Internet Day
Safer Internet Day has been around for well over a decade. More commonly referred to as SID, it is part of a joint effort by the Insafe/INHOPE network. The purpose of this initiative is to educate children about the dangers they face every time they go online and how to use all the technology available to them responsibly.
In the UK, the UK Safer Internet Centre oversees the activities under the banner of SID. Different charities and forums such as the Internet Watch Foundation, the South West Grid for Learning, and Children International oversee other activities that aim to raise awareness about various aspects of being online.
Outside of the UK, several other European countries commemorate the day in their own way. The Safer Internet Day Committee, introduced in 2009, made it a truly global event. Over the years, it has proven to be a valuable resource for parents in keeping their children safe when browsing the internet online.
Safer Internet Day in 2021
In 2021, Safer Internet Day falls on 9 February. This year’s event focuses more on how we need to focus on our collective efforts to make the internet safer for everyone. It emphasizes our responsibility to ensure that everyone can benefit from all that the internet has to offer. Hence, the slogan for this year, “Together for a better internet, perfectly encapsulates that theme.
Why is it so Important?
In 2021, being aware of the dangers that lurk online has become even more critical than ever before. Breakthroughs in technology have expanded our capabilities and brought new threats in the realm of identity theft, social engineering, cyberbullying, ransomware, malware, and so much more.
It’s easy to underestimate just how much of our data is readily accessible online. All this has meant that being educated on how to be safe online is imperative to keep ourselves away from harm’s way. Moreover, it’s equally crucial for your kids that you be educated on all forms of potential threats online so you can adequately protect them.
Safer Internet Centre & PureVPN
PureVPN takes great pride in being an official SID supporter. It has partnered with the UK Safer Internet Centre to spread Safer Internet Day’s message and educate the masses about keeping themselves safe online.
PureVPN’s commitment to the cause is reflected in the plethora of useful resources published over the years. These resources help educate the laymen about what exact threats they face, how to avoid them, and how to get rid of them if they ever fall prey to them.
Additionally, we’ve taken a giveaway/gift approach to encourage conversations online as we believe the dialogue between users is vital to increase each user’s safety on the internet.
Internet Safety Issues You Should Know
As mentioned earlier, cybercriminals are becoming smarter, and so are their methods. You must be aware of the threats you face online if you are to avoid them. Some of the most common ones you’re likely to be vulnerable to include:
- Malware:Malware is malicious software that’s been designed to access and collect your personal information behind your back. These can include viruses, spyware, worms, trojans, ransomware, etc.
- Phishing: This is where a hacker might try to gain access to your data by posing to be a legitimate organization. They operate via fake SMS alerts, emails, phone calls, and even websites.
- Cyberbullying: The popularity of social media means that anyone can talk to anyone. Some individuals use this as a means to harass, bully, and stalk others online.
Internet Safety Tips For Your Kids
Your children are highly vulnerable online. They face threats that are often unique to them and leave them compromised if you don’t take proper precautions. Here’s the best way to handle some of the most prominent threats your children face on the internet:
- If you’re using a public computer, always log out once you’re done.
- While using Google, have Safe Search enabled to avoid explicit search results.
- Be careful not to disclose sensitive information in chat rooms, emails, or social media sites.
- Do not agree to meet up with a stranger face-to-face.
Internet Safety Tips To Protect Yourself
Just like kids, adults are similarly vulnerable online. The threats they face can leave their personal info and their finances in disarray if they’re not careful. So, here are some of the most significant threats to be wary of.
- When browsing to new websites, take a look at the padlock on the left of the address bar. It should always read “https.”
- Keep your firewall updated to avoid having your system compromised.
- Never allow remote access to anyone online unless they’re from a trusted source.
- Only provide your email address to a service if it’s absolutely necessary.
Some Final Words
As Safer Internet Day approaches, it serves as a reminder of how far we’ve come technologically. While most of this technology has helped us increase our productivity and efficiency manifolds, it has also made us vulnerable to all kinds of dangers online.
Only by working together, in perfect tandem, can we combat all the threats we face online. This year’s theme is meant to reflect our commitment to that cause.
All it takes is a bit of precaution to avoid having our sensitive data stolen or exposed. This year, let’s pledge to take this seriously.
Team PureVPN would like to wish you all a great Safer Internet Day.