Apple TV is a streaming media player, which allows you to stream music, videos, and other content from the Internet on your smart TV.
There are a wide range of channels available for your entertainment needs, and one of them is the famous BBC iPlayer.
However, you’ll have to switch your iTunes region to the UK to get apps such as BBC iPlayer on your Apple TV.
How to Get BBC iPlayer on Apple TV?
Just follow these simple instructions to change the region of your iTunes and get BBC iPlayer on Apple TV:
- Sign out of your existing iTunes account.
- Go to Settings > iTunes Store > Apple ID > Sign Out
- From the bottom of the iTunes Store, choose the UK as your preferred country.
- Locate a free app and choose Get.
- Create your new Apple ID.
- Type a different email address than the one you used for your regular Apple ID.
- On the payment page, select None.
- Specify a valid UK billing address.
- Log into your new Apple ID.
- You’ll be able to see UK apps like BBC iPlayer!
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV with a VPN?
Even though BBC iPlayer is now successfully unlocked on your Apple TV, you still won’t be able to access it because of geo-restrictions. If you attempt to, you’ll be shown one of the two error messages below:
“This content is not available in your location.”
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.”
By using a VPN, you can get a UK IP address and watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV from any corner of the world. Unfortunately, Apple TV doesn’t have integrated VPN support – so there’s no way to install a VPN on it directly!
That doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t use a VPN your Apple TV, though. Here are some alternative ways to set up a VPN with Apple TV:
Method #1: Install a VPN on Your Router
To configure a VPN on your router, follow these simple instructions:
- Since not all routers are VPN-ready, you’ll first need to identify what type of router you have.
- If you already own a VPN-compatible router or have purchased one, then subscribe to a PureVPN plan.
- Find the right setup guide for you and follow the steps to run a VPN on your router.
- Lastly, connect the Apple TV to your Wi-Fi network and watch BBC iPlayer free from any restrictions!
Method #2: Create a VPN-Enabled Hotspot
To turn your Mac or Windows PC into a virtual router VPN, all you have to do is:
- Sign up for a PureVPN account.
- Download and install the VPN client for Mac or Windows.
- Follow the steps mentioned in our Mac or Windows VPN connection sharing guide.
- Lastly, connect the Apple TV to your VPN-enabled hotspot and stream BBC iPlayer without limitations!
Method 3: Share VPN Connection Using Ethernet
To share your VPN connection with an Ethernet cable, follow these easy steps:
- Get a PureVPN subscription.
- Download and install PureVPN for Windows.
- Connect Apple TV to your laptop or desktop using a wire.
- Click Open Network and Internet Settings.
- Click Change adapter Options.
- Right-click your VPN connection and choose Properties.
- Click Sharing and check the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection box.
- A popup will appear. Click Ok.
- Choose your Ethernet connection from the Select a private network connection from the drop-down menu and hit the Ok button.
- Connect to PureVPN on your PC.
- Your Apple TV will now share the VPN connection, enabling you to watch BBC iPlayer hassle-free!
- Purchase a PureVPN subscription.
- Download and install PureVPN for Mac.
- Connect Apple TV to your Mac using a wire.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click Sharing.
- Select Airport from the Share your connection from drop-down menu.
- Select Ethernet in the To computers using box.
- The VPN connection will be shared with your Apple TV, which means you can stream BBC iPlayer with ease!
By now, you probably have a better idea of how to watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV using a VPN. You’re going to be able to access the streaming service on your Apple TV instantly, regardless of your location!