How to Install Kodi on Roku – For Android & Windows OS
If you can’t install Kodi on Roku then this guidge is for you. You will learn how to install Kodi on Roku as well as enable screen mirroring easily. Get PureVPN to ensure an amazing streaming experience during the lockdown.
**Update: A newer, better version of our Kodi app is out! We’ve fixed some bugs & introduced major performance improvements. Please upgrade the existing app to version 1.8.0 (if you haven’t already) from here.**
The availability of cord-cutting devices and applications, like Roku and Kodi respectively, has boosted the trend of online streaming to a whole new level. As a result, it has become super easy to watch your favorite content on any device you prefer.
Talking about Roku and Kodi, Roku is a pretty popular streaming media player while the latter is a media entertainment hub. Although both have a huge fan following around the globe, unfortunately they are not compatible with each other.
But don’t lose heart because there’s a way you can install Kodi on Roku!
Table of Contents
- Is It Possible to Install Kodi on Roku by Jailbreaking the Device?
- How to Install Kodi on Roku with a VPN?
- How to Enable Screen Mirroring on Roku?
- How to Get Kodi on Roku via Windows?
- How to Get Kodi on Roku via Android?
- Why You Need to Install Kodi on Roku?
- Why You Need a VPN?
Is It Possible to Install Kodi on Roku by Jailbreaking the Device?
You might have come across articles mentioning how to jailbreak Roku device to install Kodi. Sorry to burst your bubble, you can’t find any definite guide on the topic because there isn’t any yet….Why?
It is because Roku customized proprietary OS is built on the native platform C/C++. The nativity is what makes the device quite difficult to jailbreak or root. So, no, you can’t jailbreak the device at all.
Moreover, even if there is a way to jailbreak the device, you can’t play Kodi on Roku because there isn’t any official Kodi add-on for the device.
Again, If you ask, is there a way to get Kodi on Roku, i.e., directly installed on it? The answer would be a No. But if you ask, is there a workaround? The answer is, yes!
The workaround involves “Casting” Roku on a device that is compatible with Kodi. Let’s learn how to use “Cast” or “Screen Mirroring” to access Kodi on Roku.
How to Install Kodi on Roku with a VPN?
Since you are looking for a solution to run Kodi on Roku, you must be well-aware of the fact that there are some popular add-ons of Kodi that you can’t access without a VPN. Luckily for you, VPN lets you access your favorite Kodi add-ons with just a few clicks.
Follow these steps to get your PureVPN account and the respective app for your device:
- First of all, sign-up for a PureVPN account
- Download VPN app and install it
- Connect to the server of your choice, such as US server, to access your favorite Kodi add-on
- Enjoy all your favorite Kodi content on Roku
How to Enable Screen Mirroring on Roku?
Screen Mirroring is a quite fascinating technology that allows you to display the screen of one device on the other. Suppose you need to watch a movie clip on a HD TV but the clip is actually on your smartphone. You can easily do that by turning on the Screen Mirror on both the devices and connect them via a Bluetooth connection or Wi-Fi.
Screen Mirroring is a pretty sleek technology that you can now see on the latest gadgets or operating systems. In fact, you can find this option on Widows and many Android devices. Therefore, the workaround will only work if your device supports Screen Mirroring.
Roku Devices That Support Screen Mirror
As discussed above, your Roku device must have the Screen Mirror feature so that you can access Kodi on it. Here is the list of Roku devices that come with this powerful feature:
- Roku 2 Model 4210 with version 5.6 or above
- Roku 3 Model 4200 and Model 4230 with version 5.6 or above
- Roku 4 Model 4400 with version 5.6 or above
- Roku Stick Model 3500 and Model 3600 with version 5.6 or above
- For Roku TV you need to have the version 6.2 or above
Enable Screen Mirror on Roku
To enable the Screen Mirror feature on your Roku device, follow the given steps:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote to go to the main menu of your device
- Go to the Settings option and then to System Updates
- Make sure that you are using v5.6 or above. Secondly, if there is an update available, update the OS
- Now, go back to the Settings and then go to the Screen Mirroring
- Press Enable Screen Mirroring
How to Get Kodi on Roku via Windows?
To cast Kodi screen on your Windows operating system – be it desktop or laptop, you need to make sure that you are using Windows 8.x or Windows 10.
Moreover, you also have to make sure that you have Kodi player installed on your Windows OS.
Let’s check out the steps on how to install Kodi on Roku via Windows 8.1 or above:
- Click the Start Menu and go to Settings
- Double click the Devices box to open it
- Click Connected Devices or Bluetooth and Other Devices
- Click Add a Device or Add Bluetooth or Other Device
- Wait for Windows to scan and find your Roku device
- When you connect Roku through your Windows, you will see your device’s screen on Roku TV
- Now open Kodi on your Windows and enjoy it on your Roku device
How to Get Kodi on Roku via Android?
Just like Windows, your Android device must also support the screen mirroring feature so you can install Kodi on Roku. For that, make sure that you are using Android 4.4.2 or the latest version.
Secondly, you may not be able to find the feature with the same label as other devices since ever manufacturer labels features differently. Depending on your Android device, you may find screen mirroring feature as:
- HTC Connect on the HTC devices
- AllShare Cast / Quick Connect / Smart View on some Samsung devices
- Screen Casting on the Android Lollipop version
- Smart Share on LG devices
- Display Mirror / Wireless Display on Google Android devices
- Cast / Cast Screen on some Android versions
Now, let’s take a look at the steps you need to take to cast your Android’s device screen on Roku for using Kodi.
- Go to the Settings menu on your Android device
- Now go to the Display menu
- On the Display screen, scroll down to see the Cast feature and tap it to open it. As mentioned earlier the feature may have a different name depending on your device
- You will see the Roku device if you have already enabled Screen Mirroring on it
- Once you see the Roku device, tap it and enjoy
Why You Need to Install Kodi on Roku?
Many Roku users often wonder whether using Kodi on Roku is a good option or not. After all, Roku comes with its official set of channels.
Well, the media streaming device may offer popular channels in its store, it doesn’t offer private channels. Since Roku no longer offers private channels, you might not be able to access your favorite channels that were once available.
Moreover, Roku has the tendency to bar all types of content that it deems illegal. All those reasons aside, the main reason of using Kodi on Roku is that Roku requires you to cough up more money for accessing more channels. In other words, you need to buy subscriptions to the channels you want on Roku.
However, Kodi is a completely free media entertainment platform. Moreover, it offers a huge gallery of free add-ons that can satisfy your craving for movies, TV shows, sports, etc.
By combining the free features of Kodi with the paid subscriptions of Roku, you get to enjoy an amazing online streaming experience.
Why You Need a VPN?
Be it Kodi or Roku, there are some channels that restrict you from accessing them without a VPN. The most likely reason behind the problem is location-blocks. Due to country-specific content agreements or licensing issues, you can’t watch a content that is available to a specific country.
For instance, you can’t watch the UK-based channel, BT Sports, outside the UK.
VPN gives you a huge supply of anonymous IPs that you can use to access online channels or add-ons of Kodi or Roku without any problem. By using VPN anonymous IPs, you get to hide your real location and display your public IP or location of any country.
So, get VPN and say goodbye to troublesome digital hurdles once and for all.