Get American Netflix on Roku
Roku is a popular streaming device worldwide. It plays content from online streaming services, such as Netflix. If you own Roku but don’t have Netflix on it, then follow this guide. As a bonus, we will also show how you can watch the American version of Netflix.
Netflix on Roku
Before Amazon Firestick and Chromecast joined the ranks, Roku had been the only mainstream player in the online media player industry. Roku launched its first Linux-enabled Netflix Internet Video Streaming receiver box – the Roku DVP earlier in May 2008.
Ever since the device has been through some major advancements generation after generation. It now comes pre-loaded with a dozen US-based channels such as Amazon Instant, ABC, NBC and Hulu to make your streaming experience on large screens more efficient and entertaining. Roku is currently offering Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere+, Roku Express, and Express+ and you can choose whatever suits your pocket and needs.
How to Install Netflix on Roku
Getting Netflix to run on Roku is quite simple as the device is natively compatible with it. Here’s how you can install Netflix on Roku 1 and all other Roku models.
For Roku 1:
- From Roku’s Home screen, navigate to Home and choose ‘Netflix’ , If you can’t see Netflix: Go to ‘Channel Store’ ➝ ‘Movies & TV’, Select ‘Netflix’ ➝ ‘Add Channel’ ➝ go-to channel
- Choose ‘Yes’ on the Netflix home screen, If you are not yet a member, follow the signup prompts or set up your membership online.
- A code will appear. Enter this activation code at netflix.com/activate
Your Roku now has Netflix running
For other Roku Models:
- Go to Home and select ‘Netflix’ , If Netflix is missing: Go to ‘Streaming Channels’ ⭢ ‘Movies & TV’, Choose ‘Netflix’ ⭢ ‘Add Channel’ ⭢ go-to channel
- Select ‘Sign In’ on the Netflix home screen, If you are not yet a member, follow the signup prompts or set up your membership online.
Your Roku is now connected to your Netflix account. Enjoy!
How to Watch American Netflix on Roku
Now that you’ve got a Roku device with Netflix running on it, wouldn’t it be a buzzkill to find out that the specific title you’re trying to watch isn’t available in your region?
Netflix on Roku opens doors to a whole new world of video entertainment for cord-cutters. However, you’ll still be limited by the content available to access in your specific region. Netflix, as we all know it, has separate media libraries for every country among which the US library is the most premium. But you can still access its contents from outside the US using a reliable VPN service such as PureVPN. By using PureVPN, you can easily access all US-based channels on Roku that are otherwise unavailable in your region.
Please note that Roku doesn’t have a built-in VPN client and you’d need to set up PureVPN on a compatible router to use for Roku. By doing so, Roku will automatically have VPN functionality enabled as it connects to the Wi-Fi.
The set up comprised of three steps.
- Signing up for PureVPN
- Configuring a router with PureVPN
- Connecting the router with Roku
Sign Up for PureVPN
Visit PureVPN and sign up for a plan of your choice.
Configuring a Router with PureVPN
Once you have a PureVPN active subscription, it is time to configure it with a router using Wi-Fi. The configuration process differs from router to router. Here’s a list of all routers along with their configuration guides.
- DDWRT with PPTP
- DDWRT with OpenVPN
- Asus Router with PPTP
- Belkin Router with PPTP
- Tomato Router with PPTP
- TP-Link with PPTP
- D-Link with PPTP
Once you’ve configured PureVPN on the router in use, move on to the next step.
Connect Router with Roku
Now you can connect the router with Roku by following these steps.
- Restart your router and connect with a PureVPN US IP address
- On your Mac or PC, visit https://owner.roku.com
- When you’re asked to choose a country, select United States
- The US has 5 digit zip codes so you need to compose your own zip code related to your credit card
- Now, perform a factory reset on your Roku. To do so, press the button on the back of your Roku for 15 seconds
- Setup your Roku again with the router and reconnect it to the network
Now you would be able to access American Netflix as well as other US-based channels such as Hulu, ABC, and NBC on your Roku.
Since Roku lacks default VPN compatibility, this is by far the easiest way to install and use a VPN on your Roku. Unlike Amazon Fire TV which runs on a modified version of Android, Roku has its own proprietary software that quite restrictive about which apps you can install.
Once you install PureVPN on Roku, you can be assured that your online activities are encrypted and hidden from prying eyes like your local ISP. The enormous network of 2000+ servers in 96+ locations guarantees optimum uptime without any DNS leaks.