**Update: A newer, better version of our Kodi app is out! We’ve fixed some bugs & introduced major performance improvements. Please upgrade the existing app to version 1.5.0 (if you haven’t already) from here.**
In recent years, Kodi has increasingly become an essential online streaming solution for millions of free streaming fans across the globe which has given birth to the need for a Kodi VPN.
Kodi is most famous for its massive number of video Kodi add-ons. If you’re not familiar with Kodi add-ons, you’re missing out on the most important aspect of Kodi.
Kodi add-ons are available to you to stream movies, TV shows, live TV, sports, documentaries, news and so much more. Kodi VPN has become a one-stop solution for binge watchers.
Apart from the endless benefit Kodi add-ons offer, there’s a big drawback and that’s regional limitations. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of Kodi add-ons are location-locked content and cannot be accessed outside their respective regions.
In the same way, copyright issues and DMCAs can get you into trouble with law enforcement authorities. But, you can easily access all such limitations add-ons and remain anonymous while streaming with a Kodi VPN.
Why Do You Need A VPN for Kodi?
Millions of people around the globe have Kodi installed on several Operating Systems and hardware platforms such as televisions and remote controls. Since Kodi allows users to play and view most online streaming media such as videos, music, and podcasts along with digital media files from local and network storage media, Kodi users need the built-in capability of a VPN to help them access location-blocked add-ons and content available in different regions.
PureVPN is a huge believer in unlimited accessibility. Its features allow you to browse anywhere on the internet and stream your favorite channels like Netflix US, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., at best speeds. With PureVPN, you can take full advantage of Kodi and all of its features and services.
Plus, a Kodi VPN also helps combat internet-powered attacks by hackers and surveillance agencies. Coupled with the security benefits of a VPN, this combination enhances fun and entertainment. Those who prefer cord-cutting services over cable TV understand the importance of a VPN service.
How to use Kodi with PureVPN [Video]
Table of Contents
How Does a VPN Help with Kodi?
Simply put, a Kodi VPN not only allows internet users to freely browse the internet by connecting to different VPN servers around the world through its global network, but it also masks their IPs, thus making them completely invisible to cyber-criminals, hackers, and third-party agencies.
Kodi can be configured on various devices such as Android, IOS, Linux, Windows, Mac OS, Xbox, and PlayStation.
With a Kodi VPN, you can do the following:
• Enjoy High-Speed Streaming
You can enjoy streaming content at blazing-fast speed with a Kodi VPN regardless of where you are in the world.
• Easy-To-Install One-Click Connection
Installing a Kodi VPN is much easier than you think. With a simple click, you are redirected to the download page for a particular device, and the process begins instantly.
• Browse with 100% Anonymity
With the best Kodi VPN, you don’t have to worry about your ISP throttling your speed or third-parties monitoring your internet activities. You are completely undetectable on the web!
Is Kodi legal without VPN?
Itself Kodi is not illegal. Many content producers and media houses do hate it though. Since Kodi is open source, any one can create any sort of plugin which can be used to access content from unauthorized sources.
However, just because a few people are misusing Kodi for getting access pirated content, it would be unfair to ban or restrict Kodi. Try understanding it this way; there are god drivers and there are rash drivers. The fact that rash drivers exist doesn’t make the car a bad invention.
Did you know a major chunk of the internet is hidden from you? Thats where Kodi VPNs come in. They allow Kodi users to access hidden content such as restricted live streams and addons.
Setup Kodi on Your Devices
Here’s how you can setup Kodi on your devices:
How to Setup Kodi on Windows
Setting up Kodi on your Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 is more easy and straightforward than other operating systems. Here’s how:
- Go to the Download page on Kodi and select the 32Bit Installer.
- If you are a regular user of Windows OS, you will see the common options: Run, Save or Cancel.
- Choose Save to download the application at your desired location.
- Double-click the downloaded file to install Kodi.
- During the Installation, you may be asked to follow some easy steps. It is best to go with the default settings.
How to Setup Kodi on Mac
For Mac lovers, Kodi can be configured on their Mac devices.
Here’s how you can setup Kodi on your Mac:
- Start by downloading Kodi’s latest app for your Mac. Keep in mind that the app comes in a disk image format.
- Double-click the file to open it. To install that app on your Mac, simply Drag the Kodi icon into the Applications folder.
- Now, try opening the Kodi app.
- Though it depends on your current Gatekeeper settings, you may get an error on your first try which would be something like this: cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. To get around it, you can simply CMD+Click the Kodi app and select Open to play Kodi. Or, you can also go to your OSX Security & Privacy settings from the System Preferences menu, and choose Anywhere where it says Allow applications downloaded from.
- Viola! You are now ready to binge watch on Kodi.
How to Setup Kodi on Android
You can always enjoy Kodi on your Android-powered devices. All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- Go to your Android menu and look for Settings.
- Open Settings and then go to the Security menu.
- Look for the Unknown Sources option and check the box to enable it. The feature will allow you to install the Kodi app for Android.
- Now, go to the Google PlayStore to download and enjoy the latest Kodi app.
- You will need to go through the same steps for your Android TV as the menus are same across the app.
How to Step Kodi on iPhone/iOS
Setting up Kodi on your iOS is a simple and easy process that doesn’t take too much of your time. The best part is that the Kodi installation process is same across different iOS devices such as iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPad Mini, and iPad Pro:
To enjoy Kodi on your iPhone or any other iOS 9 powered device, you will need to download the following important files:
- The latest Kodi deb file.
- The iOS app singer.
- The Xcode application which is available on the Mac App Store.
Once you have downloaded the aforementioned files, let’s move on to the Kodi setup:
- Start by connecting your iPhone or any other iOS-powered mobile device to your Mac. Once the device is connected, open the Xcode application that you have downloaded from the Mac App Store.
- Now, select Create a new Xcode project, then Single View Application, and click Next.
- Fill out Product Name and Organization Identifier fields. Then, click Next.
- You will be asked to save the file, which you can save on the desktop. Click Create.
- It’s up to you whether you want to share the contact details with Xcode as the app usually asks this permission. However, it’s not mandatory!
- Select Fix Issue, which will open up a dialogue box. Click Add. Now, enter your Apple ID to log in.
- Once signed in, select Choose to open App Signer. Then, select Browse to choose and open the Kodi deb file you downloaded earlier.
- Now, choose the profile you created earlier with the identifier. Proceed to add Kodi as the App Display Name, before clicking Start.
- Enter a file name, before clicking Save.
- Open Xcode again and choose Windows. Choose Devices to select yours from the left pane. Once you have selected your device, look for a Plus sign at the bottom of the right pane and click it to choose and open the .ipa file, created earlier.
- Now, disconnect your iPhone and unlock it.
- Sometimes you may get an Untrusted Developer error when you open your device. To remove the error, go to the Settings of your device. Tap General and then Device Management. Find your account under the Developer App. Now, Tap Trust “account name”, and tap Trust again.
You can now enjoy Kodi on your iOS 12 or your iPhone via a Kodi VPN.
How to Setup Up Kodi on Apple TV
Got an Apple TV? You can setup Kodi on your Apple TV, and enjoy high-speed streaming with the app.
To enjoy Kodi on your 4th Generation Apple TV, you must have an Apple Developer account – free or active. Furthermore, you will also need to download the following important files:
- Xcode 7.2+ (available on Mac App Store)
- iOS App Signer for Mac
- The latest Kodi .deb file for your TvOS
Once you have downloaded the aforementioned files, let’s move on to the Kodi setup:
- Start by plugging your Apple TV to your Mac through a USB-C to USB-A cable.
- After the device is connected, open up Xcode and choose to Create a new Xcode project. Select Application from the main menu under the TvOS section. Now, choose Single View Application, before clicking Next.
- Now, proceed by creating a ‘New Project’. You can fill out the product name and organisation name fields with any details you want. Do the same when filling out the Bundle Identifier field and here the details would be written in a reverse-domain style – for example, com.arcade.kodiappletv. Make sure that all the fields are filled out before clicking Next. Finally, save the project on your desktop or any other location from where you can access the file easily.
- Now, head back to the Xcode’s main window where you should be seeing an error stating Matching provisioning profile cannot be found. To get past the error and resolve it, simply click Fix Issue.
- However, to fix the above issue you would require a free active Apple Developer account. So proceed to sign in using the associated Apple ID and password. Though the application continues to ask for details, it can be overlooked as it’s not mandatory. Continue by selecting the correct Apple ID and clicking Choose. Once done, the Xcode application will fix the issue to make a provisioning profile.
- Now, choose Apple TV from the drop-down which you can find at the top left side of the Xcode application, along with other options such as the Play and Stop buttons.
- Once you are done with the Xcode application, open iOS App Signer. Now, choose the right Signing Certificate and proceed to fill out the Provisioning Profile field. Choose the project name you have created on the Xcode application earlier. Select Input File to browse, location and select the Kodi .deb file, downloaded earlier. It’s up to you to whether you want to fill out the App Display Name field and give it a unique name or leave it.
- Click Start after making sure that all the fields have been filled out with the correct details. Once you click the start button, the application will proceed to create .ipa file which you can install on your Apple TV.
- Go back to the Xcode, and go to Window, then Devices, and choose Apple.
- Now, choose the IPA file you have just created. The app will now install the files on your Apple TV.
- You can now enjoy Kodi on your Apple TV fourth generation.
Setup Kodi VPN through Routers
A few years ago, there used to be two or three Wi-Fi devices in every household on average. They would be connected to the same Wifi router, but would work as independent devices hosting different apps and functionalities.
Nowadays, there are at least a dozen smart devices in every house, ranging from smartphones, laptops, smart TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, streaming devices. Some tech lovers go to the extents of upping their smart home game by adding smart coffee makers, washing machines, smart lights, smart locks, wireless IP cameras, and even connected motion and smoke detectors.
If you happen to have taste for a smart home, then you already have multiple streaming devices at your home. It’s always convenient to be watching your favorite TV show in the home theatre, and then continuing the remaining of it in your bedroom on your tablet. This calls for having the same content and functionality across all devices.
If you are a Kodi user, and want to access content from geographically limited add-ons on all your devices at the same time, you can do so by installing PureVPN on all your devices individually. PureVPN supports up-to five multi-logins, which means that you can use the same VPN account on 5 devices at the same time.
But isn’t it boring to install PureVPN on all your devices separately when you can just configure it on your router and get default VPN functionality on all of your devices? That is right. Installing PureVPN on your WiFi router is fast and simple. It takes very little effort to install it, and works great on all the popular WiFi routers.
Here’s how to setup Kodi VPN on other platforms and devices
How to setup Kodi on OpenELEC Devices
Note: Setting up Kodi to attain the maximum benefits requires a step-by-step process, which hardly takes much of your time.
Advice: We understand the process contains jargons which might be unfamiliar to you. You’ve got nothing to worry about as we’ve got you covered. Just follow the easy process to get the best internet experience possible.
Step 1 – Download Kodi on your OpenELEC device (Raspberry Pie)
- Head over to Kodi’s website.
- Download the file.
- Install the downloaded file.
Once done, follow the method:
Step 2: Download and Install PureVPN Kodi Add-on.
Follow the steps given below to install PureVPN Kodi Add-on on your device.
- Open your browser and visit “https://s3.amazonaws.com/purevpn-dialer-assets/kodi/app/service.purevpn.monitor-1.8.0.zip”
- The file will Download automatically
- Once downloaded, locate the installation file in its folder.
Step 3: Place the downloaded file in USB drive.
Place the downloaded file “service.purevpn.monitor-1.3.0.zip” in a USB drive and plug it on the OpenElec Kodi Box.
Step 4: Launch KODI and install PureVPN Addon for KODI.
- Navigate to Home Page and click “Add-ons.”
- Click on the “Files” icon.
- Then click on “Install from zip file.”
- Navigate to the USB device where you’ve placed the installation file.
- Click once on “service.purevpn.monitor-1.3.0.zip” for the installation of add-on to begin.
Step 5: Setting up PureVPN Kodi add-on
- Navigate to the Add-ons tab and Click PureVPN Monitor OpenVPN.
- When you select “PureVPN Monitor OpenVPN, a new window will appear, click Add-on Settings.
- Enter your PureVPN username and password.
- Select the country or region from where you want to access the content of your choice. Click Display VPN Status to check you current IP and location.
- Click Change or Disconnect VPN Connection to display the list of servers. Connect to the country of your choice.
Done! Now you can access region-specific content Kodi addons with complete anonymity via PureVPN Kodi add-on.
How to setup Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, and Fire Cube
Kodi can also be configured on Amazon devices. Here’s how you can setup Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick or your Amazon Fire TV:
- Start by turning on your Amazon device, and then going to the Settings > System and then Developer Options.
- Select and turn ON the Apps from Unknown Sources, and then the ADB Debugging options.
- You may see a warning alert when you turn on the unknown source, but you can select OK to ignore the warning as you can always turn it off later.
- Go to Fire Stick main screen. Now, go to Search and type Downloader to choose it. Select Get.
- Once you select Get, the download will start. Once the downloading is finished, a notification will pop up at the bottom right corner.
- Go to the Menu and choose Launch Now.
- Choose the URL section to download either of the two compatible versions: Jarvis 16 or Krypton 17. For Jarvis type the following URL bit.ly/kodiarm161 and for Krypton bit.ly/ kodi17apk.
- Click Next and then Download to get the desired Kodi version.
- Click Install when the downloading is finished, and the Kodi installation will soon begin.
- Once the installation is finished, open Kodi and enjoy your favorite shows.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
How can I fix buffering on Kodi?
If your stream is constantly buffering and ruining your streaming experience, it may be due to ISP throttling or bandwidth restrictions imposed on you by your ISP. You can easily evade these restrictions and get the ultimate buffer-free streaming experience by getting PureVPN and becoming completely anonymous online.
What is the best Kodi build?
There are many Kodi build out there which provide a lot of addons, plugins, and great skins which you can set up in just one click. They save a lot of time, which you would otherwise use up in finding the right addons for your viewing pleasure. The best builds which provide great content and have got skins pleasing to the eye include Misfit Mods Lite and Titanium Build.
Is my Kodi connection secure? Can someone find out what I’m streaming?
Kodi is an open source media player, which makes it quite insecure and easy to exploit. Research and stats show that Kodi streamers get subjected to the highest numbers of cyber-attacks such as cyber-stalking and hacks.
A hacker, who may have gained entry into your network can know what you are watching and who you are communicating with. He can even eavesdrop on your conversations by taking control over the microphones in your smart devices such as smartphones and home-assistants.
What is the latest Kodi version?
The latest version of Kodi is v17.6 and is known as Krypton. A new version, the v18 is currently out in beta, known as Leia. Since it is in beta, it is prone to a lot of malware and phishing attacks. Currently, it’s mostly the developers who are using Kodi v18 Leia to create and test new plugins and add-ons.
Best country to connect VPN for using Kodi?
The best country to connect your VPN for using Kodi is the US. This is because there is little to no content that is inacessible for access in the region, unlike in other countries where there are heavy censorship laws to avoid a lot of streams and entertainment related content.
Once you connect your PureVPN on a US server, everything that you want to watch will be in your access. Since PureVPN provides you with great online security, you will also remain safe from getting penalized or prosecuted for accessing restricted content.
Why do you need PureVPN for Kodi?
There are many issues connected with streaming on Kodi on an insecure connection. It can expose you to malware, cyber attacks, hacks, eavesdropping and a lot of other online malice that can cause you harm.
Without PureVPN, you may end up getting very slow streaming speeds which can ruin your streaming experience. Once you install PureVPN, you become completely invisible online.
Kodi is an entirely free and open-source media player application developed by the XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology organization. While the media player is open source, and the content is all free, it does open up endless possibilities for video entertainment for streamers from all around the world.
Due to its open-source nature, Kodi has its equal share of problems, most of which revolve around hackers and cyber intruders who can gain entry into your devices to snoop on you and steal your data. With Kodi VPN services, users can remain secure on the web while enjoying uninterrupted high-quality streaming of their favorite TV shows, sports, and movies anywhere and anytime they want.