SSTP VPN Protocol
SSTP, or Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol, is designed to safeguard PPP traffic using the SSL/TLS channel. It’s a much better and safer for Windows users as opposed to L2TP/IPSec or PPTP. It’s difficult to block and offers good speeds only if you have adequate bandwidth.Even though PureVPN includes the SSTP protocol, it requires manual configuration to get started.
SSTP VPN Protocol Overview
What is SSTP?
Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP) is a secure protocol used in VPN tunneling. The protocol, though owned by Microsoft, is available to both Linux and Mac users. SSTP uses SSL/TLS (Secure Socket Layer/Transport Layer Security) channel over TCP 443 port.
How Does SSTP Work?
A client’s system connects to a server through a TCP (Transmission Control Port). SSL uses the 443 port to connect to the server. To confirm the connection, it requires user authentication. And, it is usually authenticated by the client. The protocol uses the server certificate for authentication.
Why is SSTP a Popular VPN Protocol?
There are many reasons that endorse the popularity of SSTP. For instance, SSTP offers the highest level of security, i.e., 256-bit AES encryption. Moreover, the port it uses can circumvent almost all types of firewalls. Since it is a Microsoft owned property, it is completely compatible with Windows.
Advantages and Disadvantages of SSTP
- Has the ability to bypass most firewalls.
- The level of security depends on the cipher, but it is usually secure.
- Supported by Microsoft & integrated into Windows operating system.
- Since it is a Microsoft property, no third-party can audit it for vulnerabilities.
- Slow speed due to high level of encryption.
Features of SSTP VPN
SSL and SSTP connections use same port i.e. port 443.
SSTP uses the same mechanism of data transmission as SSL does.
The encryption bit used by SSTP is 2048.
Benefits of SSTP VPN
- Although SSTP is only for Windows, you can use this protocol with other OS. For instance, you can use it on Mac, Linux Mint, Android & Ubuntu by using PureVPN.
- PureVPN’s SSTP coupled with military-grade encryption algorithms makes your data completely impenetrable.
- Our SSTP VPN service offers the best protection and without decreasing the speed.
- SSTP establishes single HTTPS channel from client to server. As a result, it keeps your online traffic encrypted at all times.