How to Find Your Router IP Address
Updated: 24-August-2021: Whether you want to change your router’s SSID, create a new WiFi password, or make additional configuration settings, you need to know your router IP address. ‘Router’ or ‘gateway’ are both terms that are often misunderstood by many, read on to understand better and, learn how to find your router’s IP address.
- What is my Router IP Address?
- How to Find Your Router’s IP Address on Windows
- How to Find Your Router’s IP Address on Mac
- How to find your router IP address on Android
- How to find your router IP Address on iPhone or iPad
- How to find your router IP address on Linux
- Default IP Addresses of Router Brands
- Difference between Router and a Gateway
- What is a Public IP Address?
- Who is connected to My WiFi?
- How to Change Router’s WiFi password
- What is Port Forwarding?
- How to Reboot a WiFi device
What is my Router IP Address?
Although finding your router’s IP address is a straightforward process, some devices have a different method. Here’s how to find your router’s IP address on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone or iPad, and Linux devices.
How to Find Your Router’s IP Address on Windows?
To find your router IP address on Windows, follow these simple steps:
“cmd”in the search box and open Command Prompt.
- Enter the
- Find your router IP address listed as “Default Gateway”
Simultaneously, you can find your router IP address via the Control Panel:
- In the search bar, type Control Panel and click Enter
- Under Network and Internet click View network status and tasks
- Next to Connections, click your Wi-Fi name
- On the new pop up window, click Details
- The numbers next to IPv4 Default Gateway is your IP address
How to Find Your Router’s IP Address on Mac?
- Click the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Click Network and then Advanced.
- Select the TCP/IP tab, and find your router IP address listed as “Router”.
How to find your router IP address on Android
- Go to Settings and tap Connections
- Tap on Wi-Fi. Tap on settings icon of Wi-Fi network you are connected to
- Find your router’s IP address listed as IP Address.
How to find your router IP Address on iPhone or iPad
- Go to Settings
- Tap Wi-Fi
- Tap on the Wi-Fi network you are connected to
- Your router’s IP Address will be under Router option
How to find your router IP address on Linux
- Click on the network icon in the notification centre
- Click Connection Information or Network Settings
- You should find your Router IP address next to Default Gateway
Default IP Addresses of Router Brands
In the list below, you will find the default router IPs for some of the most widely used router brands.
|Default Router IPs
|TP Link Router IP Address
|Netgear Router IPs
Difference between Router and a Gateway
A gateway is a device that does the routing of data. It could either be a modem, router, or network switch. Essentially, a gateway and a router are the same things. Therefore, a gateway can be referred to as a router, and a router can be called a gateway.
The term ‘default gateway’ refers to the router being the first point of contact for the inflow and outflow of network traffic.
What is a Public IP Address?
A public IP address is used to communicate with devices over the internet. It is assigned to your network modem or router by your internet service provider (ISP).
Your internet-enabled devices have a private IP address that isn’t displayed over the internet. Once connected to the router, the router’s public IP address hides the IP address of any device connected to the router.
Who is connected to My WiFi?
The most convenient way to find who’s connected to your WiFi is through the router’s dashboard/web interface. By logging in to your router’s web interface, you get the most accurate picture of which devices are connected to your router.
Additionally, most modern-day routers maintain logs where a record of past and current connections, along with the IP address of every connected device and its name, is maintained.
Software and applications such as ‘Wireless Network Watcher’ and ‘Who’s on My WiFi’ are an easy way to find out who’s connected to your WiFi network and potentially even hogging your bandwidth.
How to Change Router’s WiFi password
Changing the router’s WiFi password is a simple process:
- Enter the router’s IP address on a web browser.
- Enter the username and password of the router’s web interface.
- Click Basic Settings.
- Type the new password in the field.
- Click Save.
The router will now restart for the updated settings to come into effect.
What is Port Forwarding?
Port forwarding is the process of redirecting internet traffic via a port from the Wide Area Network (WAN) to another port in your Local Area Network (LAN). Port forwarding is common among online gamers who forward ports to enjoy uninterrupted online gameplay.
Port forwarding works even more smoothly with a VPN, which takes out the complex administration of doing it through a router control panel. PureVPN’s port forwarding VPN is highly regarded in the community for its exceptional service. Learn more about PureVPN’s port forwarding VPN.
How to Reboot a WiFi device
Rebooting or restarting a WiFi device are essentially the same thing. Maybe your network is congested, and you’re facing sluggish internet speeds, or your router/modem needs to cool down. Learn more about rebooting a WiFi device in mere minutes.